Don't Make Me Weak

"Book it for tomorrow," Rocky's voice echoes behind his office door.

My nerves kick in and I no longer know that I can do this. I take deep breaths to calm myself and turn to face the door.

The door swings open and Rocky walks in, he stops mid-track when he sees me. "I'll call you back," he says into the phone and hangs up.

I freeze. There is no words coming to my mouth. I don't think I am capable of this. I wanted to return his gift, something he should've never done to begin with but as his eyes peer into me, I am lost for words.

"Sky," Rocky mutters before taking a gentle step forward as if to test the waters. His eyes scan my face and I'm sure he can see that I feel sick to the stomach. "Are you okay?"

I bend over placing my hands on my knees to breathe. This isn't how this was supposed to go. I was supposed to be confident, slamming the paper on his desk and walking out. I don't deserve the house and I especially do not deserve him.

Rydar's words echo in my head. Please do not hurt my brother.

I didn't want to hurt, I still don't. The idea was to return the deed and walk out. That was the plan. I was then supposed to work out my issues with him at a different time...if I ever worked them out. If I could ever convince myself I was good for him. If I could ever walk into his life knowing it wouldn't cause him more pain.

His hands gently rest on my shoulders, the touch a warm welcome. "Sky, you don't look so good."

I nod, straightening my back and raising my hands away from my knees so that we're eye level. Taking a final breath, I pull the deed of the house out from my handbag and hold it up. "What's this, Rocky?"

For a second, Rocky watches me in confusion. That is until his hand wraps around the document and he pulls it free from my hand to look at it. It only takes a millisecond for it to register across his face. "Deeds to the house."

Nodding, I say, "I know, but why is it in my name."

"It was a wedding gift."

Shaking my head, I look him in the eyes. "A wedding you never let me go through with, so why the gift."

"I didn't know what Daniella did," he says with sincerity. "That was after."

Tears run down my eyes. "So you were going to let me marry Frank?"

Rocky watches me for a second.

"Answer me," I say a little loudly.

"Yes," he says swallowing.

"You were just going to let me walk away!" I shout pushing his chest. "You were not going to fight for me."

Rocky lets me push him a second and third time, before grabbing my wrists and pressing my back against the wall. Leaning into me he says through gritted teeth, "what choice did I have? You were adamant you loved someone else."

"So why give me the gift?!" I shout.

"Just because you didn't love me doesn't me I didn't love you back," he shouts back. "It's because I love you that I want you to be okay and have a roof over your head."

My knees wobble and I try to hold a steady ground. Tears now fall as if there is no tomorrow and I can't get a hold on them. I hate that Rocky sees me like this.

"No no no," I whisper wiping at my tears frantically. "That's not what you do."

Rocky leans forward, enough that the heat of his breath warms my ear as he says, "so what should I do? Sky tell me and I'll do it."