[7]

"Byeol-ah. Mommy and daddy are going to hide ok? Don't open your eyes until you count to 100."

"Ok! Hide good today, I found you so easily last time."

"Search well Byeol. Don't stop until you find us..."

Their footsteps faded away, as I covered my eyes and counted excitedly.

"97, 98, 99 and 100!"

"I'm coming guys!"

A couple of hours later.

"This game isn't fun anymore... You guys can come out now," I said, breathing heavily.

"Another 2 escaped. What do you think he's gonna do to us today?" A pair of soldiers walking past me shivered in fear. "Who escaped sir?" My 7 year old self bravely questioned the 6ft tall soldiers. They looked down, laughing at my ripped attire, barely sewn together by the help of my dad.

"Speak of the fucking devil, can't believe they left their only daughter behind," one of them spoke, tutting in pity.

"You can't blame them, who wouldn't want to escape North Korea?" The other shrugged. "Watch yourself, if you get caught saying like that he'll behead you and serve you as a meal to the birds," the other slapped the back of his head.

"Oh and you, your parents are gone. They left you behind to escape, they probably thought you'd become a burden. Guess now you can join the other orphans in the factories," they spoke while trying to grab me as if that was a bright side of all this.

"LET ME GO! Why would I go to a place for orphans when my parents are alive?" I screamed, resisting as hard as I could.

"Your parents are alive to you. But to them, you're as good as dead. And that makes you an orphan. Take her!"

"NO-"

I wiped my tears, waking up from that horrid dream drenched in sweat

I wiped my tears, waking up from that horrid dream drenched in sweat. Not only could I not forget about my past, but my dreams wouldn't let me. I would always have to suffer during my sleep, it felt so real.