[14]

"BYEOL? My Byeol? How did you come to the South?" She screamed over the phone.

"That's the first thing you say? I mean I get it, it must be a shock. You know, to see me living a decent life here in the south after you left me in the dirt to die," I angrily uttered. "Honey we were scared," she spoke in a guilt stained low voice.

"You left a bloody child alone in that horrifying country, don't you think I would've been scared?" I asked, in disbelief of her unacceptable explanation.

"Let's meet up tomorrow, no, now, I need to see you," she said, quickly changing the topic. "Let's not. It was nice talking to you again, tell dad I said hi," I coldly spoke.

"And oh, I called from a phone booth so don't call on this number again. If you come to that house again those guards will kill you, so I don't recommend doing that. Just keep yourselves alive," I advised, ending the call before hearing what she had to say next.

I let my weak legs do their thing and drop me down helplessly onto my knees. Speaking so harshly to someone I hadn't seen in years should've been easy, but after all, she is my mother. And inside was still a young girl who craved affection, just a little bit of love.

"Scared?" I scoffed at her earlier spoken words. Pathetic I am.

From the corner of my eyes I could see Jungkook's guard still watching me. I sighed and got back up, walking towards him as he tried to blend in with the crowd. "You're a terrible actor, you can stop following me now," I gave him a little pat on the back before heading back to the house.

"You're back already?" Jungkook said, I hummed in response, walking towards my room. I plopped onto my bed, feeling blank. Thoughts overwhelmed me to the point where I was practically numb, and empty. I covered myself with the blanket, wanting to sleep away all the worries.

*dream*

"Let's do it," he whispered.

"That's a stupid idea but what the hell, we have nothing to lose," I let out a mischievous chuckle

"That's a stupid idea but what the hell, we have nothing to lose," I let out a mischievous chuckle. Us slaves were being moved to a different town. Wooden sticks were fitted around our necks, acting as the leashes you put on dogs, just to make sure we didn't run.

Me and Jaechan hated letting the soldiers have a peaceful time. We were pretty much known for being troublesome teens, but for some reason no one ever got rid of us.

"Now," he nudged me, bending down so I could step on his back and kick the head of the soldier. I grabbed the knife to cut Jaechan loose, then he did the same for me. We both had a knife each, standing back to back laughing at the situation we got ourselves in.

"Even if we die, we die together."

We spoke in unison like we always did before doing something as stupid as this, giving another smile before fighting off the soldiers. The only reason we were doing this was because we knew these soldiers were new, they probably only just started their enlistment with no training whatsoever.