E L I J A H

Summary:
you propose to him

(part 2)

After Damon had moved all of your stuff back into your own apartment, it finally kicked in- you were never going to be happy again. Once upon a time, just the mentioning of Elijah's name would cause butterflies to erupt in your stomach ,.. But now? Whenever you heard his name, your mind went straight to him and Hayley - it made you feel disgusted, and only amplified your feeling of hatred towards them both.

*

"Thanks for moving all my stuff" You smiled over at Damon as he helped you unpack. "Do you know how hard it was for me to try and keep myself from ripping his heart out?" He laughed as he took a seat at the edge of your bed. "Why didn't you?!" You groaned, jumping onto the bed and sitting beside him. "Because unlike him, I have class" The blue-eyed vampire smirked. "Yeah right" You snorted, earning a playful nudge from Damon. The two of you sat in silence for a few seconds, until you got a sudden jolt of courage- "y/n-" Damon started to say as you cut him off with a long, passionate kiss.

"You shouldn't have done that" He muttered as you pulled away, and his eyes fluttered open slowly. "Why?" You quizzed, placing your head on his shoulder. "Because you're heartbroken, and it's going to take time to heal y/n. And because I don't want anything to happen between us if it doesn't mean anything- especially if it's just to distract you from Elijah" He explained, taking your small hand in his much, larger one. "I'm sorry" You whispered, closing your eyes in embarrassment. "Don't be sorry, just be sure. Because- I want us to be together. But it's too soon, and you need time to heal" The Salvatore smiled softly, placing a kiss on your knuckles. "What did I do to deserve such a great man like you?" You chuckled as you wrapped your arm around his waist.

The next few weeks were tough, but they went by quickly, and you could feel yourself healing more by the day. You felt like you were ready to move on, and you wanted to be with Damon so badly. But something was holding you back. You felt guilty for being happy with another man besides Elijah. Because no matter how bad he messed up, and no matter how much you thought you hated him- deep down, you still loved him, even if you thought you didn't; the feeling was still there.

*

"y/n?" Damon called as he walked through your front door. "In here!" You yelled from your living room. The Salvatore walked in to see you sitting on your couch, curled up into a ball with your blanket wrapped tightly around you, and your eyes glued to the tv screen. "Really? How many times have you rewatched The Office now?" He snickered at you. "Michael Scott is the funniest character of all time now shush!" You snapped at him. The dark haired vampire shook his head and laughed quietly as he walked over to you, standing in the way of the tv and ultimately blocking your view. "Damon!" You groaned. "Get changed y/n!" He imitated your groan, holding up a dress in front of your face.

"I told you I'm not going, so I'm not going and that's final!" You huffed at him. "y/n come on." Damon sighed as he took a seat next to you. "You promised me you'd be my date to this stupid thing before everything happened. And besides, why do you care if they're going to be there? Look at you- you're confident, beautiful, and easily the strongest person I know. You shouldn't let them stop you from having a fun night" He exclaimed, and you couldn't help but blush. "Plus, it's for charity" He added with a small shrug. "Damn your persuasiveness!" You snapped as you jumped up from the couch and threw your blanket to the floor. "Give me twenty minutes and I'll be ready" You smirked at Damon as you took the dress that he was holding out for you.

The Salvatore waited quite some time for you, and after nearly an hour, you were ready to go. "Blue looks good on you" He grinned as you entered the room. You looked up and noticed he was wearing a black tux. "Were you wearing that before?" You quizzed, not remembering what he had on when he came in. "Yes y/n, I was. And you're clearly going insane" He chuckled. "Well, for what it's worth- black looks good on you" You smirked at him. The two of you left your house and made your way to the charity ball- which was being held in none other than the Mikaelson's home.

*

As you and Damon walked upto their porch, your knees began to feel weak. You looked around to see groups of people standing around, dressed up and holding glasses of champagne. "Suddenly I don't feel like being here anymore" You whispered to Damon. "No way, we're not backing out now" He whispered back. "We?" You grinned lightly, raising an eyebrow at him. "We're a team y/n. And we're doing this together" The blue-eyed vampire smiled down at you. "Let's just get this over with" You sighed as the two of you walked towards the entrance of the Mikaelson mansion.

"What charity is this even for?" You questioned Damon as you both stepped inside. "Vampires in need? How should I know?" He shrugged in response. "Okay so what do we do now?" You quizzed, looking around awkwardly. "Dance?" Damon chuckled as he dragged you to where everyone was dancing. "Damon!" You groaned as he placed one hand on your shoulder and another around your waist. "Chin up princess, your ex is staring" He smirked. You furrowed your brows in confusion as you scanned the room, before your eyes finally landed on Elijah- his brown eyes staring right back at you. You gulped lightly as he sent a small smile your way. "How can he have the nerve to look so smug?" You scoffed, snapping your head away from him. "Look at how far you've come without him y/n. Tonight's your chance to show him that you don't need him" Damon smiled warmly at you.

After dancing for a while, you both made your way to the bar. "Champagne" You told the bartender, unknowingly taking a seat next to none other than the girl that Elijah had declared his love for when you'd asked him to marry you. "Bourbon for me" Damon added before the bartender got you your drinks. "y/n?" You heard a familiar voice perk up. "Dear god please tell me that's not who I think it is" Damon mumbled to you. "Hayley" You sighed in annoyance. "I'd expect to see you here" You then scoffed at her. "Why?" She snorted, dumbfounded to your sarcasm. "Well I mean, it's a charity event- and you're a charity case" You chuckled, taking the glass of champagne that the bartender had put in front of you, and gulping the whole thing down. You rolled your eyes at the brunette as she glared at you, and waited for Damon to finish his bourbon.  "Come on Damon, let's go. It reeks of wet dog here" You smirked as you got off your seat.

Without warning, the young wolf also jumped off her seat and pulled on your hair. "Get the hell off of her!" Damon snapped as he pushed her away. "Is that all you got? Grow some balls and throw a proper punch" You spat at her. "You're just jealous that Elijah loves me more than he ever pretended to love you. Because let's face it, who would ever want to love a hopeless girl who just throws herself at everyone she makes eye contact with" The brunette mocked, instantly making you fall silent. "You don't deserve him anyway. I mean, look at you. You're just a child who thinks the world revolves around her. Maybe you should grow up" Hayley scoffed at you. "Maybe you should get lost" Damon snapped back at her. "I'm just warning you Damon. She's a selfish bitch, and one day you're gonna regret being friends with her" The werewolf stated before walking away.

You sat back down at the bar, tears blurring your vision. "Hey, don't listen to her" Damon sighed as he took a seat next to you. "I hate her so much" You growled as a tear rolled down your cheek. "Is everything okay? I saw Hayley storm off and you're crying so that's not a good sign" Your ex lover spoke as he appeared by your side. "Get lost" You scoffed at him. "y/n please, I don't want things to be like this between us" The original stated. "I'm serious Elijah, get lost. Go live happily ever after with your whore of a lover and leave me the hell alone!" You snapped angrily at him, standing up from your seat as Damon also got up. "You can't hate me forever" Elijah whispered. "Watch me" You stated, without any emotion in your voice.  "Let's get out of here" You then told Damon before shoving Elijah out of the way, and strutting off.