Chapter 17

I wake up to the sounds of voices and a truck pulling up into our driveway, I peek out through my blinds to see three men and grandpa standing in the melting snow. The truck has a horse trailer hooked up to it but I can't see if there is a horse in it or not, I get out of bed, get dressed and head downstairs. gulping my medicine down in the process of Ithrowing my muck boots on.

    I head outside  with the dogs on my heels, peeking around the corner of the trailer  I see grandpa leading a tall, dark bay hanoverian into the barn. I hear the  voices of men saying how evil the horse is and grandpas replies something that I could'nt make out,  than the sound of the truck engine and the slamming of doors, I scurry away from the trailer and head into the barn quietly. I slip into an empty stall until grandpa leaves for his Monday bingo along with everyone else, dad has to head to the office and grandma is going out with some girlfriends to knit and make cookies.

    Once everyone left  I slid back out of the stall and head over to the new horse, he was beautiful, he was the darkest bay I've ever seen.I start opening his stall door. He had a long mane and his eyes where covered by his forlock, I imagined myself riding him in the ring, winning ribbons and trophies, galloping through the grassy hills behind the barn and I smile, Lady starts scratching the door to her stall and brings me out of my daydream, I lock the latch to his stall and turn around realizing its still very early and everyone needs to eat. I grab the bucket of grain and scoop the grain into everyone's buckets, than I head back up to the house and feed the dogs quickly, leaving them to eat while I head back out to the horses who are finished and waiting to head out into the paddock to spend their day in the sunny, wet melting snowy paddock. I grab Clyde and Oreo and put them into their paddock, than I come back for Honey, Bonnie, Blackberry and Lady putting all four mares into another paddock. Finally I head back into the barn to grab the new horse. He's sitting there with his ears pricked up looking out the stall window, listening to all the horses outside neighing at the dogs who made their way outside. I laugh at him and he sighs "Do you think your never going to get out?" he turns his head towards me and steps away from his window, and neighs "You don't seem like such a scary boy, those men are overreacting" I open the stall door and put on his red halter, I start leading him out slowly, grabbing a carrot out of my pocket I give it to him, he takes it carefully. I put him out in the middle paddaock right inbetween the mares and the other two geldings. He books it for the hay and begins eating like everyone else.