Chapter 21

It comes time for presents, and Im showered with them! I glance over every present and my eyes land on a huge box.... with a big pink bow on it. Grandpa ushers me over to the box and I complain to him "Why cant the present come to me gramps?" Reaching the box I sit down on the rocking chair right beside the box, Grandma tells me to smile, giving her my best smile she takes the picture, but all of a sudden BAM!!!!! something pops out of the box, or actually three something's jump outscreaming "Happy birthday Valory!" Sammy, Megan and Carly are standing in front of me beaming and smiling! I just sit there stunned, my mouth wide open like a goldfish.

Everyone is laughing as Im opening all of my presents, but Im not so happy as everyone else because my body is on fire, but Im not saying anything because everyone came all this way for my birthday and I dont want to end a great day with me going to the hospital. Opening the last gift I thank everyone for the wonderful presents and excuse myself to my room to put my gifts away.

What I Got From Everyone

Grandpa and Grandma- 3 books, Bandanas, Nail Polish, Earrings and some breeches

Dad- Sweatshirt, shoes and all new tack for Artisto!

Aunt Jenna and Uncle Fred- Earrings, Socks and breeches

Megan- Head bands

Carly- Candy, Kohls gift card

Sammy- The movie Secretariat (My favorite)

Aunt Caren- Books, Notebook and colorful pens

Ruby- Earrings and scarves

Lily- Necklaces and rings

After putting everything away I grab my journal and record Artistos progress from this mornings practice before school. He's finally used to all the tack! I write down, closing the book I head downstairs again, but Im met by Carly, Megan, Sammy, Ruby and Lily they try to make me go back up to my room but it doesnt work I have already heard my mothers voice, pushing past my friends I rush down to the front door where grandma is yelling at her to leave I look her over, she has changed from the last time I saw her, instead of her wavy brown hair she has strait blond hair, a tight fitted red dress and high black boots, behind her is a black corvett and an expensive looking man. I push past grandma and whisper in her ear to leave us alone, she angrily leaves and I close the door behind me, looking her in the eye I say sternly "What are you doing here" she looks at my bald head and pearking her cherry red lips "Well darling Im here to give you a birthday present" Thrusting a three large bags into my hands she smiles and starts to hug me but I pull back and yell "Dont make me feel sorry for you, you cant buy me with gifts or money" continuing "I see you married up" I go back inside and slam the door shut before she can reply, looking out through the glass window I see the black corvet speeding away a tear falls down my face and as Im about to whipe it off I notice that I still have her gifts, wrapped in my hands.
Then feeling the pain come back I slide down the door and just sit there on the floor, curled up with my three dogs, listening to my family laughing I the kitchen.