29

New chapter! The story is almost done. :(

Anyways, enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jade was the first to wake up. Her room was still pitch black but she was used to the complete darkness. She noticed her phone was still in the call with and all she could hear was Tori's soft breathing on the other line. Jade decided it was best to get ready for school, so she grabbed her phone slowly to not disturb Tori and to create a bunch of noise, hanging up the call and racing quickly to her messages.

Jade: Good morning, beautiful, I hope you're doing better today. I'm going to be getting ready for school now. See you soon. x

As Jade left her bedroom to wash up in the bathroom, she could smell something delicious being cooked downstairs. She lingered at the top of the stairs trying to find a good angle of what was being made in the kitchen. It smelt like bacon and the smell already made her stomach rumble.

She made her way back towards her bedroom, seeing her phone light up with a text notification from Tori.

Tori: Thank you, Jade. I'm feeling a little bit better, just a bit shaken up still. Free to pick me up for school?

Jade smiled, eagerly texting her back.

Jade: Of course. I'll see you in 30.

She held a tight grip on her phone as she left her room to go downstairs. Her father was in the kitchen preparing a breakfast and Jade watched in awe seeing her father active and cooking as for years of her life she barely ate anything for breakfast or any other meals besides lunch, as she ate lunch at school.

"Something smells good." Jade admitted as she sat herself down at the table.

Her father glanced at her for a moment before placing a plate of bacon on the table. "I felt like I haven't cooked in years."

"Don't worry," Jade grabbed a piece and took a bite. "It's very delicious."

"I appreciate it." he said, his voice filled with a tiny ounce of concern.

Some moments of silence passed between the both of them as her father prepared some coffee for himself and not bothering to make some for her. That's okay, though, as she can steal some from Tori's house.

Well, the coffee at Tori's was damn good.

A slight, proud smile appeared on her father's face. He took a sip of his coffee and ruffled his hair as a bit of an anxiety flowed through his body, and Jade sensing the slight uncomfortable atmosphere he was in. Was he afraid of her?

"So, any plans with your girlfriend?" he finally asked but his voice and tone made it sound like he was struggling to spit out the words.

Jade frowned, taking another piece of bacon from the plate. She knew Tori's current situation and she would do anything in her best to make her feel better. The overwhelming rate of Tori's situation hit her like a truck, as it reminded her of her own mother, who left her years ago when she was young, and the whole downward spiral hit her family.

The time when her father changed, becoming an alcoholic and changing her life entirely. When he accused her of being the reason her mother left in the first place when in reality it wasn't. It was all his fault.

"Do you remember Mom?" she asked, her voice softer than usual.

Her father paused, turning back towards her with shock.