2 ⤃

"Malai," her mother called when the girl had just walked out of her last college class of the day

There outside on the curb was her mother in her black Jaguar F-Type driven by their chauffeur, not even the family who owned it. Her mother sat in the back seat, not even in the front seat.

"Come home," she called as eyes gaped at the car. "I need you to watch Prasong while your father and I go to a business meeting. There will be a lunch-in tomorrow that I want you to attend so maybe look at dresses online since I know you threw out the ones I bought you."

Malai groaned and hefted her backpack on her shoulder, sent a quick text to her roommate, and got inside the car.

She sighed as she looked over at her mom. Well she then tried not to laugh. He mom was sitting cross legged, wearing a black slip dress with pearl earrings, bracelet, and necklace. Her hair was pulled up in a clip and she was wearing black sunglasses and heels. She looked like a whole action movie mafia mother.

Malai did have a weird sense of humor. A sense of humor that consisted of pop culture references, memes, and clowning celebs; even when she practically was the daughter of one.

The car ride was silent, only her mother's acrylic nails clicking on her phone as Malai judged her own gnawed on cuticles. 

When the driver finally stopped in front of their mansion, Malai got out almost immediately. Her mother on the other hand got out slowly and elegantly, the car door slamming behind her as Malai dodged puddles and tripped every five seconds. She did not belong in this life style. She remembered when her mom had tried to sign her up for etiquette classes. Not good.

When she entered her dad seemed to appear out of no where.

"SHOES OFF," he yelled, already wearing a tux.

Her brother came running down the stairs. He was in a polo and khakis, contrasting Malai's mom jeans, sweatshirt, and Nike Airforce 1's. Her dad glanced at her up and down before sighing at turning to continue to gel his hair back.

She slipped her shoes off before going farther into the house. She did not want the sandal, or the wooden spoon, or the belt. Neither were good.

She looked down in embarrassment. She never felt like she was enough in the eyes of her parents, her brother always being the favorite, yet the couldn't even take care of him.

They said they worked hard, yet they didn't even start their own company, her dad inherited it from his dad. It was all given to them. They knew nothing of starting from scratch. Another reason why she didn't want to take the company.

She wanted to accomplish wealth and happiness on her own records, her own goals and through her own hard work, not her ancestors. She want to make her own name, not be given it. Where was the pride in that?

Her parents were soulmates.

She was sure of that.

They knew nothing of self pride through hard work and new accomplishments.

Her little brother stared up at the girl before grabbing her hand and dragging her to his room.

"Let's play Just Dance," he said as he handed her the remote control. "And if you break my PlayStation, I swear to god Malai."

She laughed as she put the strap around her wrist and looked at her little brother who was so focused on finding 'Umbrella' by Rihanna on the Wii.

She felt trapped though.

Whatever.

Focus on your brother and stuff that matters.

Just a look into Malai's life a lil more.