17 ⤃

Malai was awoken when a banging noise from her apartment door interrupted her sleep

She jumped up and pulled a sweatshirt over her thin T-shirt and made her way to the front of the apartment. She looked through the peephole and sighed.

The minute she opened the door, Byungchul had already stormed inside and was sitting on the couch.

"Do you need something Chul," she asked as she allowed her feet to carry her to her coffee machine.

"Nope," he said popping the 'p.'

"Then why are you here so early," she said fixing him a cup as well.

"Can't I just see my soulmate," he said, "or do you actually want that trash man."

Malai hung her head as she set the mug in front of him. He roughly grabbed it and brought it to his lips not saying anything else.

"So what if I did," she muttered almost inaudibly.

Unfortunately Byungchul heard.

He set down his cup and looked her deep in the eyes, his gaze making her scoot away.

"Are you serious," he said, "your kidding right?"

Malai stayed silent for once.

"Does he even have a job," he continued, "why do you even trust him that much? I'm rich! I have a job!"

Malai looked around the room without speaking.

"Can you show me your mark," she said, "where is my touch?"

Byungchul froze.

"Do you not trust me," he asked, "why wouldn't you trust me?"

Malai looked at him.

"Why would I," she said.

"Because I'm your soulmate and I've been nothing but good to you," he said.

Malai couldn't respond.

"What have you done for me," she said looking at him.

"So much," he said, "I took you on dates, I've been there for you, and I followed you to that art thing!"

"That's stuff that should be natural," she said looking at him, "that's the stuff that every boyfriend should do."

"I paid for you though," he said, "you shouldn't need help paying for stuff."

Malai looked at him, her eyebrows furrowed.

"What is that supposed to mean," she said.

Byungchul froze once again.

"What do you mean," Malai repeated, her voice wavering in concern.

"Well... look at you," he began, "I don't know where you came from before, but you seem pretty wealthy. Your successful as well!"

Malai gave a sigh of relief.

He didn't know.

Maybe she was just overreacting.

The two sat in silence for the rest of the time until he left.

Thoughts flew through her mind though.

Would he treat her the same if he knew her family heritage?