10) Testing

Beastboy lay on the ground out the back garden, letting his hand float freely in the pool as he watched the stars above him. He felt weird, but he couldn't help but feel a strange warmth inside of him. Not because of their current problem, but because of Raven.

It was only three weeks ago that he had finally won her over, but deep down everybody knew it had been building up for years. Now, they had landed themselves in quite a sticky situation. Raven sat in the front porch, sipping a can of coke as she stared out into the night.

The only sounds were that of cicadas and other nocturnal creatures that lurked in the grass and around the trees. And, of course, the sound of Starfire, Robin and Cyborg getting into the car to go to Saints.

"You sure you ain't coming Rae?"
Cy called out the window, starting the car up. Raven shook her head, and sipped some more of her drink.

"Garfield's sick, I'll just stay with him."

He nodded and Raven waved them all off, feeling uneasy.

She really didn't want to do this test.

When she came back inside, Beastboy was already waiting there, ready to go.

"I still don't get why I have to be the sick one."
He said, pouting in a joking fashion. Raven sighed and pulled on a jacket.

"Because I don't want any suspicion on me."
She said. Beastboy finished her coke and put the empty can in the bin. He held out his hand for her to take.

She took his hand with a scowl, and they began their journey to the pharmacy.

"So, Rae, how's you?"
Beastboy asked, swinging her hand up and down. She smiled to the ground.

"Seriously?"
She mumbled. He laughed and let go of her hand, now wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

"Sorry that we have to walk, but I'm just feeling a bit weak today."
Raven said, looking up at the moon.

She always wondered how much people were looking at the moon at any given time, and if they could all see it the same way. This helped her back in their hero days, when she felt alone.

"Iss all good. Hey uh..."
Beastboy began, stuffing his hands into his hoodie pocket. Raven raised an eyebrow, doing the same.

"What happens if you actually are pregnant?"
He asked, a new emotion evident in his face. He looked worried, scared, even. Raven sighed loudly and shrugged.

"I can't have it. I mean, we're only eighteen, and even if it went off somewhere new to live I still wouldn't be strong enough."
She said this with her eyes trained on the ground.

She looked like she felt... guilty.

"Hey, mama, it's ok!"
Beastboy exclaimed, hugging her again.

"That's a smart decision, we still have our whole lives left to live."

Raven nodded, but soon realised she was letting too much of her guard down. She shifted away from him and quickly changed the subject.

"Can you get them for me?"
She asked, pulling up her hood. Beastboy nodded, and searched in his pockets. He took his hand out and frowned.

"Guess I can't smoke around you now."
He said, smiling a little through his frown.

"Good. Smoking's bad for you."
Raven replied. Beastboy laughed and punched her arm playfully.

"You condone drugs, but not smoking?"

Raven nodded.

"Smoking is using drugs."

Beastboy sighed and kissed Raven's forhead. She frowned at him and swiped the spot he pecked with her sleeve.