18) The New Guy (pt. 2)

Beastboy pulled on some baggy shorts and a hoodie, before ruffling his hair to make it look loose and wavy. He tied the laces on his vans and frowned when he could barely get them over his feet.

Why are vans so freaking tight?

Raven pushed his door open and checked the time on her phone. Beastboy smiled at her.

"Hey, mama! Looking good!"
He said, making her frown. She wore black denim shorts, purple Converse and a grey t-shirt that she tucked into the waistband of her shorts.

"Are you seriously going to wear a hoodie?"
She asked, pulling down some loose hairs from her high pony to frame her face. Beastboy watched her fondly, his attraction to her creating flutters in his stomach.

"It's called drip."
He said. Raven scrunched up her nose.

"You mean dripping in sweat? And since when do you say drip?"
She said, turning and walking downstairs. Beastboy followed her lead and shrugged.

"I said it to annoy you. And if you would really like to know, as I am an animal-human hybrid-"
He began, but Raven shot him a look that told him to stop rambling.

"I can adapt to the heat."
He said, smirking. He enjoyed how Raven could get so annoyed at him sometimes, yet how she would always come back sooner or later with a smile.

"We're going out!"
Raven called, opening the door and stepping out into the heavy air. Beastboy shut it behind him and followed his girlfriend down the road to Mike's house.

At his door, they both hesitated. Raven smiled at Beastboy and widened her eyes in an attempt to win him over.

"Gar, can you do the talking?"
She asked sweetly. Beastboy shoved his hands in his pockets and closed his eyes.

"I can't hear you!"
He said. Raven rolled her eyes and raised her first to the door, tapping her knuckles softly on the Chestnut wood. It was only seconds before the door opened, and revealed the stocky police officer who they knew to be Mike's dad. He frowned at them both.

"What?"
He grumbled. Raven opened her mouth to answer him, but Mike came out to them, slipping past his dad and giving the couple a shy smile.

"I asked for them. We're going out."
He said, and began walking down the path towards the boardwalk. The front door shut and Beastboy and Raven followed him.

One thing that could be agreed on by all three teens was how lucky they were to be living along the Californian coast. The sun shone most of the time, particularly in the Summer, and the beach was only fifteen minutes away. The boardwalk was even closer, as it overlooked the part of the sea that had no sand to accompany it.

Mike sighed and looked to Raven and Beastboy, who he was walking in between.

"So, how are you?"
He asked sheepishly. Raven shrugged, and Beastboy muttered some sort of an okay.

"Look, I'm sorry-"

Beastboy held up his hand and smiled.

"Please don't apologise again."
He said, laughing slightly at the end. Mike turned a slightly pinkish colour after this comment was made, but he managed to hide it.

"What are we gonna do when we get here?"
Raven asked, kicking a small rock across the road. Mike shrugged.

"I didn't think I'd get this far."
He muttered, but soon pointed ahead. The boardwalk was now just across the street, and a large market could be seen, with tents and stalls lined up along the entire walkway.