15) A Good Day

When Beastboy came to pick Raven up, the sun was shining brighter than it had been the past few days. It was July, but it was almost like the confused and mixed feelings of the Titans were presenting themselves in the form of clouds and mild temperatures.

The receptionist nodded at the changeling as he went for the ward. Many nurses and other patients gave him warm smiles.

It was a good day.

Raven smiled when she saw him. Her bags were packed up ready to go, and she felt elated. It felt like a fresh start. Beastboy kissed her gently and revealed his hands from behind his back, which held a bouquet of flowers.

Raven blushed and accepted his gift, almost tearing up at his sweetness. She set the flowers down and went to tie her laces, but Beastboy did it for her.

"Thank you."
Raven said, holding the bouquet close to her body, almost as though she was afraid they would disappear.

When the laces were tied, Beastboy stood up and took Ravens bag. He offered out his free arm, and she linked it with a smile. As they signed some last forms and said their goodbyes to the nurses, Raven couldn't wipe the smile off of her face.

"I don't know if it's the sun, or you, but something is telling me this is a good day."
She said. Beastboy nudged her.

"Softie!"
He joked. But Raven couldn't even be mad at him. As they got closer to the doors, Beastboy spoke up again.

"Sorry Rae, the others were busy, they couldn't make it."

Raven shrugged, pretending not to care.

But when they stepped out into the car park, a familiar car came speeding up to collect them, full of familiar faces.

Raven playfully shoved Beastboy and smiled, running over to the car. Starfire opened her window and grabbed her, hugging her as tightly as she could through the door. Robin passed out a box of chocolates, and Raven just shook her head.

"Thank you."

She got in the front seat and Beastboy sat next to Robin in the back. Raven sighed and hugged her presents tightly.

"Maybe I should do this more often."
She joked, but Robin frowned and gave Beastboy a pretend glare.

"No, you should not."
He said. Cyborg laughed as he started the car, driving them home.

"Yup, we're all protective big bro on you now, Raven."
He chuckled. Starfire nodded.

"We will not let you and Beastboy out of our sight!"
She said, making Raven laugh. Beastboy rolled his eyes and smiled out the window.

This was what he longed for.

He wanted to love Raven, and for her to love him back. He wanted for his friends to be supportive and he wanted most of all for Raven to be happy. Where he was now was exactly where he longed to be.

When they arrived home, a figure stood at the foot of the driveway, dressed in clean clothes and smart shoes.

They all got out of the car.

"Mike?"
Raven asked, seeing the boy who waited for them. He looked to Beastboy, who nodded.

"I came to chat with you."
He said, messing with his fingers. Everybody went inside, leaving Raven on her own with him. She felt odd standing there with him, but she knew her friends wouldn't leave them together on their own without a good reason.

What she didn't know, was that Beastboy had explained the whole story to them after he got home the day before, and they understood his situation. Cyborg was the one who suggested he came to apologise to Raven.

"Hi, Raven."

He stuck out his hand and Raven shook it hesitantly, still feeling uneasy. Mike couldn't bring himself to look at her in the eyes as he spoke.

"I'm really sorry. About all the stuff I did."
He said, his voice not cocky as usual but soft and shaky. Raven nodded, but a frown played across her face.

"Okay, but why are you sorry now? And why were you such an asshole?"
She replied. Mike shrugged, but knew that that wasn't enough. He finally made eye contact.

"I wasn't getting treated fairly at home, so I took it out on you. On the Titans. I was so jealous of how free you all were that I just..."
He trailed off, but Raven knew what he meant. It was strange to her how open he was being. She felt relieved, but she also pitied him. Of course, it was going to take a while to forgive his actions from the past, but it had to start somewhere.

"Okay, well... thanks for saying you're sorry."
Raven said, nodding and looking at her hands. Mike nodded.

"I have to go pick up my mom now, but I'm sorry again."
He said, and swivelled around to go home. Raven went inside and smiled.

Today really is a good day.