Chapter One~Lessons Taught

I'll be here

I'll always be here

With you.....

I gasp and sit up from my place upon one of the many rooftops of Shiganshina, watching as the sun hangs over my head in the midday sky. This was one of the chances were I felt above fear. When I heard the voice that whispers in my mind.

I pull my knees to my chests and let the sun bask on my face, my shoulder-length bright blonde hair falling behind my ears. My vision of the distance was of course blocked by the wall that 'so-called protected us' from the titans.

"You're lookin' at the walls again." says a voice, my face lights up as I turn to see Ace climbing up onto the rooftop "Ace! You're back!" I exclaim in pure happiness. Ace was a grown man, stubble on his chin and everything, he always wore this grey long brimmed fedora that suited him well.

I don't know his real name, don't know if he had a real name, but I called him Ace because he never missed ever. Give the guy knife he can hit a target, give the guy a gun he can shoot it. I owe him everything.

Three years ago I woke up in an abandoned apartment. Ace walked in not even a couple moments later asked me if I remembered anything, I couldn't. So he told me he'd show me the rope of this town, how to work my way with people and a little combat when needed.

"I brought somethin'," he says with a grin and my smile grows even wider "ODM gear! But I thought we weren't allowed to after I accidentally dropped into a market tent?" I ask Ace laughs at the memory before ruffling my hair "I smoothed it over with the higher up. I only geta' see you ever so much a week Kid, want to make the most of it."

He quickly hands me ODM gear and helps me strap in before throwing off his coat revealing his own "Hey Kid think ya' could keep up this time?" asked Ace. I take out the controller grips ready to go "I only fell because a Drop Dive is for a bigger person, I'm just too small to do it."

Ace pushes his hat down "That may be so but it's also your greatest weapon, your smaller, lighter, your the faster. First to the alley wins!" he says jumping off, I notice he was taking the shorter way.

Ace's trying to give me a hard start. I could take the river or follow after him, but I know the fastest way is to take the wall. No one would know. So that's it then, I take off running and fire my grapes into the closest part of the wall that towered over our city.

I always had a handle on running on the side of the wall, a smile even came to face as I did so. Doing this made me feel like I could fly like I was free like I was allowed to dream. I quickly double back off the wall and swing from rooftop to rooftop across town, looking over to one side I saw Eren and Mikasa walking back from the market.

Wonder if they saw Armin today.

As I watch them, without knowing I accidentally jump over the ally onto the opposite rooftop which leads off right to the town river. I feel one of my feet touch nothing and press the ball of my other foot back, oh god no I was going fall!

CLUNK!!!

My body hangs almost horizontally over the edge, my toes in the gutter, and pressure around my waist knowing I was being held up by the ODM gear "You went to The Wall." states Ace. I let go of the control grips and swing my arms trying to explain "The Wall, what are you talking about I didn't!-"

One-click and one of my buckles were undone causing me to drop down a little "Okay! Okay! I did! You said be faster!" I fight "That doesn't mean drop your smarts Kid! You know what I say bout' The Wall, so I was hoping you'd take the river so you could practice a Drop Dive!"