Chapter Twenty Nine~Hanging In The Trees

Follow your heart

I know you've been hurt by the one you thought you loved

But maybe you love another

"Kid?"

My eyes groggily open and the feeling of wind hits my face. A shadow was above me "Kid." says Bertholdt. My vision becomes clear, we were in the forest of giant trees. 

Titan country.

I look up to see Bertholdt sitting over me waving Ace's hat in my face to wake me up and suddenly everything that happened came crashing back. I grab the hat and back up into the tree "How dare you touch his hat!" I scream and look to Reiner stood behind him.

I look over to see Ymir, who stared up worried at me and Eren, who had no arms. But both there wounds that titan steam meaning they were growing back.

"You're awake," states Reiner, I look back at the two in terror "Welcome back." he finishes. Looking at the fact of the situation the others seemed to have been up for a while "Dumbass you said you'd talk when Kid was up, didn't you? What do you plan on doing with us?" ask Ymir.

"We're taking you to our home town. Of course, I realize none of you is just gonna do as I ask. Like Ymir was saying, though, this place is crawling with titan. They're everywhere. We could beat the living shit out of each other if that's what you want. But I wouldn't recommend it. Our friends down below are hungry and not prone to discriminate. Whether you try to cut and run or stick around, believe me when I say our options are limited. We wait for nightfall." demands Reiner.

I look at Reiner in disbelief "Why not just take titan form and run home? Why stop?"

Reiner faces him in annoyance "Why don't you use your imagination."

I gasp a little, that look, he's never looked at me that way, I always saw him as a big brother. I look down below at the titans there, what if I could grab one? But then again the last time I was still almost eaten even when controlling a titan cause I remain exposed.

"So we're just gonna sit on our asses till the sun goes down?" ask Ymir. Reiner nods, but why it makes no sense by nightfall the three of us would be at full strength. 

"Wait a sec. Those titans at the castle had no problem moving around at night. What's stopping these guys?" ask Ymir.

"The titans here can't move after dark. But then you know all about that, don't you, Ymir?" starts Reiner. I look over at Ymir, to be fair, the two have been put off since learning she was a titan shifter. But even so, what did she have to do with them?

The best I could do now was just listen, maybe try to get info. After that, we sat in silence for a while, Ymir asked for water that was enough to kick start something in Reiner "Speaking of which. We've been working our assess off. No food, no sleep, no nothing. Ever since those titans showed up. That was yesterday, right? Man, we're lucky the wall hasn't been destroyed. Still, you'd think that means they'd give us a break. And don't even get me started on promotion."

My eyes widen, was he serious, was he playing both sides! "What the hell." I started, Reiner looks at me with that brotherly face again "Aww, come on Kid. I don't think that's too much to ask, do you? God knows we've done our share of heavy lifting all things considered. I mean, I get it, we're soldiers. Duty first. It's just nice to be acknowledged."

There was a small pause before Ymir spoke "You bang your head or something? What're you even talking about. Seriously?"

"Ugh. Don't give me that. I'm not sayin' we storm in and demand the rank of captain or anything."