Chapter Twenty Eight~Truth Larger Then Walls

One of Ymir's arms and legs were missing and her insides scrambled. Christa, Hanji, and I sat next to her.

She was alive.

That's all I cared about.

I could feel the stares of the others nearby, in earshot of course. "Ymir," I say a hand on her shoulder, her eyes opened barely but they looked at me and Christa. We all smile at each other and nod.

Christa hoses first and everyone was watching "Just as promised. My real name is Historia." she says. I smile at her, it was such a pretty name. Ymir's head slowly turns to me and everyone was listening wondering what I had promised.

"At the time I said it as a joke, but now I can tell you. I can tell you what I remember from before the apartment, before Shiganshina." I say. I do earn a couple of gasps, but I wasn't listening to anyone else.

"I was walking up a staircase of stone with a man in a waistcoat, up to the sun. Ymir I was in the Underground and the woman was there too. I know you keep telling me not to chase the past but how does a girl from the Underground end up in Shiganshina? Ymir, I just half to know." I say. Ymir smiles at me "T-Then take that chance."

And with that her eyes close in a peaceful rest, she was gonna be okay. I stand and take a breath watching the medic's take care of Ymir. Bertholdt walks over and puts a hand on my shoulder "Kid, I'm sorry about your wrist."

I face him and smile "Bertholdt it's alright, it's just a little bruised. We need to the wall now, everyone's moving out." I say and begin to walk away before stopping "Bertholdt when we? Do you?"

"Yes?" he asks coming closer to me "Bertholdt I-"

"Kid. Time to rejoin your squad." says Levi standing in between me and Bertholdt, I nod "Lev-captain-never mind. We don't have horses." I say. 

"You can ride with me."

Um? What? Did I hear that right, I look between Bertholdt and Levi. No way they both just said that. I bite my lip and look to Bertholdt "You have a squad to get to, see you later." I say and head off with Levi.

It begins to rain as Levi lift me up behind him, he sighs and turns back to me as we ride "I'm sorry for leaving you, you would've helped in Stohess. Because of me you almost died." he says, I move a hand to his shoulder "Levi it's not your fault. It's mine after Perta went I should've controlled my anger then Annie wouldn't have beat me us so much. Speaking of Annie did you-"

"She turned herself into a crystal. We have her but can't get to her."

Oh, so then what help was I? Didn't Levi live in the Underground? "Levi, you lived Underground right?" I ask. He looks back at me "Yeah, you said you had a memory of it."

I nod "I don't know what it is, but I want to know who I was more than ever. Maybe then I won't be a waste of space." I say, the horse stops and Levi jumps off. He puts his hands around my waist and I hold onto him as he helps me down.

"Kid, Your not a waste of space," he says, the two of us stand like that. I couldn't help but stare into his steel eyes, god I was short, how is he a half-inch taller than me? I let out a breath "I'm not?"

"Of course your not. You're an excellent fighter. You're smart. You're......wonderful. And like I promised I will always protect you." he says and takes off his cloak putting it around me "For the sake of humanity." I finish for him.

He clears his throat and nods "Yes........For humanity."

The two of us sorta snap out of it, I take my hands off his shoulder and he takes his off my hips. I nod and walk past him to one of the raisers and sit on it. I stare down at the ground as it gets further away, I pull Levi's cloak closer around me to fend off the cold.