Chapter 3

I'm glutton for punishment, or at least that is what I tell myself as I step into the office the next morning. From across the floor, I can see the small crowd of gossiping witches huddling around my work pen, waiting for an update from the date with Ed last night.

I work as a virtual assistant, it's an amazing job with benefits such as high clientele, hours to suit and the option to work from home. Which is what I should have picked today. However the idea of not showing up would have led to some stories and I wanted to put those ideas to bed, instantly.

"Here she is." Sophie says to the others as I approach.

They all turn with beaming smiles, awaiting the hot gossip, but instead, I greet them and slide into my chair. Counting down from 10,  I wait...
10
9
8
7

"So? How was it?!" Sophie asks, unable to keep herself quiet any longer.

I turn in my swivel chair and look at them all, seeing the hope in their eyes. Was Ed such a catch then? Admittedly he was an attractive guy, but his obsession with Gemma was an overkill...

"Did you kiss?"

"Did he stay over?"

"Why are you in today?"

"Have you been home?"

"Is there going to be a second date?"

It seemed that Sophies first question had opened a flood gate and from the look of guilt on her face, she knew it.

"Oh ladies, give her a chance." She says, trying to dampen down the excitement. But it falls flat and she then pulls out the chopsticks from my pencil holder to twist her long blonde hair up into a bun, giving up hope to rein them in.

When the boss walks in, the group scarpers leaving me with my two closest friends.

"He told us you agreed to a second date.." Mia lets slip.

I look at Mia, who is a stark contrast from Sophies blue eyes and blonde hair. Mia was tanned, jet black hair, dark eyes and had blue hair. Whilst Sophie was tall, Mia was short but both shared one characteristic, they both had athletic killer bodies. For that I hated them both.

"So, Gemma.." I say casually, causing the girls to groan.

"Is he still piping on about her?" Sophie asks planting her hands onto her hips.

"You betcha!" Mia says shaking her head. "That's all he could speak about, other than mentioning he had a date with you, of course.."

I sigh "He's a good looking guy, but hung up on an ex is a serious issue.. I don't think he is ready to date yet."

"No, he is. He needs to get back on the horse." Sophie says causing my brow to raise.

I pray for her safety that she did not just rephrase me, a human, as being the horse that he needs to get on...

My hand reaches for the stapler to throw at her when her eyes widen. "I didn't mean it like that! It was a turn of phrase, goodness me." She says patting her chest in a fluster.

"Wait, so you're not keen?" Mia asks confused.

"On being a rebound for someone? Not really." I answer.

"So why agree to a second date?"

"And who is this ex you both bumped into?" Sophie adds looking at Mia glint in her eye.

"I didn't agree to a second date and the ex? Was a random guy." I tell them.

"Shut up." Sophie says in disbelief sitting on her seat and shuffling closer "Tell me everything."