Chapter 15

Vegas was known for being hot. Hell it was the city that sprang out the desert, but for some reason, I was finding it hotter than usual today. Zak's house was relatively cool, so I was unsure on why I could feel the beads of sweat collecting on my skin or why I felt as if my cheeks were alight.

His friends were.... They were interested in what I was about, lets say that. I kinda got the idea that they were protective over each other, having to be as I guess being on TV meant that you met a lot of bad people on the way. However they are barking at the wrong tree if they think I'm in this... What ever this is for some kind of financial gain.

When I feel my heart palpitate, I begin to worry that something else is afoot and look down at my watch, knowing that it is tracking my heart rate.

"Cool watch." Zak says making my head whip up.

"Uh thanks." I reply moving it out of sight before he realises that it's not a standard watch.

Mia and Sophie had bought it for me last year, after I had a seizure at home with nobody around. It was only when I came into work with a black eye and split lip from hitting my head and biting my lip in the fall that she scoured the internet to find a device which would alert her when I needed help.

It was a nifty little thing, tracking my heart rate, location, sleep monitor, motion sensor for picking up any jerks from a seizure, right through to the gross side of sweat secretion, which is often what happens before a seizure.

The information is linked to an app on my phone as well as Mia's, so when the technology works out that I'm in danger, it will send a message to Mia with my location to let her know that I need help.

As expected, my phone rings and I cut the call before realising what a bad move that was. Without answering, she would expect the worst, so I politely excuse myself before heading into the garden with my phone to take the call.

"Are you okay?" Mia asks as soon as I answer.

"I am.. Bit sweaty and my heart feels a little funny." I tell her. I've realised that lying to Mia was pointless, especially when she can see all the information on her phone. Besides, I didn't know if this was the start of a seizure or a little anxiety.

"Okay, have you taken your tablet?"

"I have. This morning."

"Have you eaten and drank?"

"Yep." I tell her, propping myself up against Zak's house, hoping he doesn't come out looking for me.

"Do you need me to come and get you?"

"No, no." I tell her looking around the corner quickly. I can see Zak sat at the island with a thunderous look on his face, but I don't know what is being said in there. So I cut back to Mia who is asking me questions too.

"I've just met his.. Well his crew, it's like twenty questions. It's a bit overwhelming so maybe it's picking up some of my anxiety?" I guess.

"Could be... Take a few breaths on the phone with me now otherwise Henry said he is coming to get you, no matter what."

I do as I'm told, and laugh gently when I hear Mia tell Sophie that she doesn't have to do it too. I can imagine them now, all practising some deep breathing.

"Better?" Mia asks after a minute.

"A lot better. I think it's because I'm nervous of saying the wrong thing."

"Don't be nervous babe. Just be you.  You're amazing."

"Don't feel it right now." I sigh before pulling myself together. "Right, I'm going back in. Wish me luck."