Chapter 25

I have a restless nights sleep, waking at different points for no apparent reason, I put could put it down to a number of things if I wanted to, from sleeping in a new environment, the events at the musuem to being in bed bedside a man who runs hotter than a radiator.

Several times I threw the bedding off me, being unable to cope with the warmth that he radiated across the bed, only to stir awake by him covering me with the sheet. Mumbling about me getting cold.

I was too tired to tell him I didn't want it and each time just allowed him to fuss before he crashed against my pillow. 

I woke to Zak laying on his front with his arms shoved under the pillow, sheet covering the lower half of his body and the back dimples peeking up out for me. I had been using him as a pillow throughout the night and woke up with my head on his back and hair draped up and over his shoulder.

How did we end up like this?

Peeling myself off him, I rolled back, enjoying the cool side of the bed which we had neglected most of the night.  I didn't know what time it was but there was hints of light from outside. Not wanting to move yet, I turned onto my side to observe the man beside me.

I could see hints of his arm tattoos from under the pillow, but didn't have the pleasure to really look at them, unlike his back piece. Whilst he slept, I looked at the half angel half demon. One side holding a skull on the tips of its finger whilst the other half holds a halo.  It's body is shrouded in a robe, ending at a daggers tip with a little blood dripping off. The blood is the only part in colour, the whole piece is in black and white with some serious shading.

With a light finger, I go from the base of his neck where the tattoo pokes out from any shirt collars and where the wing starts, and gently trace it down, following the curves of the wing until I reach the end.

The ridges of his shoulders, the light dusting of freckles he has and the dip between his shoulder blades made me smile.  His hair is ruffled in a sexy sleep kinda way, whilst his face looks completely at peace with the world.

This was Zak. Vulnerable Zak and I had the privilege to see it.

I want to reach out and feel his shoulders, to feel the muscles under his skin, but before I can do it, he shifts in his sleep, turning his body onto his side facing me. His hand spreading out across the bed until he feels my arm and settles with holding the inside of my elbow. Perhaps he wanted my hand or maybe just to know that I was still there?

I'm unable to leave him alone, as I reach out again, his time tracing one of the veins in his hand. He is an interesting creature but one I am fascinated to learn about. He seems to have a lot of knowledge in his mind, he has definitely experienced a different world than me and it would be nice to know how he perceives it.

Unable to pester him for an insight right now, I turn my attention back to his body. Broad shouldered, lean but muscular body, no rock hard six pack, instead a toned and smooth stomach that I found very appealing with biceps and thick cords in his forearms.

I don't know how long I stay there, watching him sleep. But I summarised it was beginning to make me look a psychotic freak. I slipped out of bed in favour of getting a drink and some food after my stomach growled so loud, that I worried I would wake him.

Opening his fridge, the first thing I am hit with the vast amount of fruit he has. If I hadn't been with him last night, I would suspect that he had robbed a store of every piece of fruit. From strawberries, raspberries, honeydew melon, grapes, blueberries, mango,  orange, pineapple and cantaloupe.

"Someone has a serious addiction." I say to myself, grabbing a few items before hip-bumping it closed.

My idea for a fruit salad quickly turns into something dangerous.  I'm humming away to myself, chopping fruit and tossing it into a bowl, completely oblivious to how much I have done, until I put the fruit back and stare at the bowl which is now full bowl. Very full bowl.