Chapter 19

The scream that Zak lets out, actually makes me feel bad, for him. I also narrowly avoid the security radio that is thrown in my direction in pure fright.

I didn't think a grown man could get that loud and I was about to congratulate him for it when he flies across the room and pins me to the wall by the tops of my arms.

Hello lover..

I trying not to notice his strength, the smell of mint on his breath, his cologne or his body pressing against mine.

"What the fuck?!" He shouts at me.

"Owh. You're hurting." I complain holding back the hiss as his fingers dig in tightly.

He drops my arms immediately and stares at me like I'm a mythical creature. His breathing is hard, but that was probably from giving him the fright of his life.

"So-"

"No." He interrupts me. "You shut up until I can actually think straight!"

I bite my lip and wait quietly as he uses the wall to support himself and take in a few breaths. When he feels confident enough, he moves past me, he picks up the remnants of his radio and then glares at me.

"I should throw your ass out!"

"But you won't.." I chirp.

I can't help myself or keep my mouth in check as I stand in the darkness, watching him.

"I cannot believe you've done this! Do you know how stupid you've been?! Coming down here?!" He fumes stalking across the room and pulling on a cord.

Light fills the room making me look around, as expected, it's rustic and really weird down here. It's also confusingly odd that he's angry with me being down here. Not that I've stolen a radio, badge or shirt...

"Satanic symbol is a nice touch." I mumble.

"Elle." He warns making me mimic a zip closing my mouth. He looks over my clothes before shaking his head "You're a real piece of work."

Walking up onto me, he pulls the earpiece out of my ear and takes the battery pack from the back of my jeans pocket.  I of course make it difficult for him to take at first, twisting my body so that he has to come a little closer.

He finally takes it and shoves the earpiece in, calling off the search, telling the security that it's someone he knows and was expecting.

It's a partial lie, but I don't point that bit out.

"You're fired. By the way." He says making me look up to see that he's put the radio down and now talking to me.

"Huh?"

"The top. The badge. You're fired."

"I quit anyway."

He looks at my arms and frowns "Where- how did you get those bruises?"

I look down and quickly cover arms with my sleeves. "I fell over, yesterday."

"Are you okay?"

I nod. "Fine. Thank you. Uh, clumsy. But okay."

Zak sighs and touches his chest. "My heart is still racing."

"I'm known to have that affect." I joke.

"I'm serious."

"As am I." I reply walking over and replacing his hand with mine.

Sure enough his ticker is racing in his chest and I look up guiltily. "Sorry, but hey, least you know you're alive."