Chapter 42

Zak POV

For years I've loved being able to travel through America and Europe, investigating the most haunted locations.

I love my job. Every single aspect of it.

Or at least I did until Elle came along. Now I wished that I didn't have to be away an entire week...

We had just finished the interviews for the day and were now heading to the local library to find more information about possible murders that happened within the home. I was hoping to find new paper articles and names to verify what happened there.

Yes I could use our researchers to get the information and news clippings but I was feeling reminiscent and with none of us having plans for the day, Billy had suggested going old school.

So here we were, heading to the library.
I had time to check in on Elle, whilst in the car, who had so far not left my home since I'd been away. I didn't mind, in fact, I preferred it. Being able to see her safe in my home, helped me sleep at night.

Logging into the camera system, I watch all the screens load up, then it's like a game of where is she.

Today she is in the lounge, on the couch with yet another one of my books, led in the sunlight like a giddiness dipped in gold. Whilst Gracie lays on the floor beside her, never far away from her new friend.

Originally, the plan was for Gracie to stay with my mom for the week. However, Elle had gone to the museum to see my mom and after a lunch date, collected Gracie for company. My mom rang me later that night gushing at how wonderful Elle is, as if I didn't know already. She had won my mom over, which isn't easy to do!

I turn my wrist and give the touch and a little tap. Less than a minute later, she is turning her wrist, smiling to herself before sending me a tap back.

God what I'd give to be there, listening to her small even breaths or soft voice reverberating through her chest whilst reading off the page. As I lay on her, letting her scratch my scalp.

If the guys saw how much of a baby I turned into when she did that, I would never live it down. But it would be the price I had to pay for being completely relaxed and besotted with this woman.

She was the light amongst my darkness, we worked in perfect harmony together.

"Everything good?" Billy asks, making me glance up from my phone.

"Just checking in with my new tenant." I say making him chuckle.

The guys have been patient with me for the best part of the week, knowing what was going on back at home. They didn't bust my balls if I was on the phone or checked it between takes.

Was I obsessing over Elle's safety after her car? Maybe.

But I also knew that whilst I was away, I could keep an eye on her as well as check in with her whenever I needed to. Elle was in my home, safe, settled and relaxed.

Each morning I woke, I sent a tap, if I received one back, I'd ring her instantly. If I didn't, then I knew she was asleep and she would know that I have said my hello this morning.

The bedrooms and bathrooms were the only sections of the house that were not under cctv. For privacy reasons obviously, but Elle would FaceTime me when she was going to bed and stay on the line talking until she was falling asleep. Sometimes she would drop off, and I'd sit there alone in my hotel room, with the TV on mute and my phone propped up, looking between some crappy show and watching her.