Chapter 44

When is enough going to be enough?

It's the main question I ask myself as I stand in Zak's garden, assessing the damage Mia had done. The once tranquil, beautiful garden has been destroyed, from pot plants thrown across the garden and in the pool, bird feeders being knocked down and broke, to large dents in the shutters where the rocks had hit.

The clean up was going to be extensive and expensive.

The police had been and taken photos, as well as the gated community's security. All to be used for prosecuting and for insurance. Which had left me to ring the shutter company, pool cleaning service as well as getting out in the garden and cleaning myself.

Nancy had headed off to the museum early, after I convinced her that I was okay and didn't need to be supervised any longer. Zak had yet to ring and I put that down to his investigation last night and the probability of him sleeping throughout today.

I was now here, going between sweeping up soil and making a list of what needs to be replaced or repaired. Before he gets home..

Sure I could have left it and called the gardeners like Zak's mom suggested, but I felt responsible for this. All of this, in some weird way. Mia was out of control so the best place for her was a holding cell. I didn't ask what would happen next, I just knew that the further I am from her, the better I feel.

Seeing the glass hummingbird feeder, shattered on the ground, I frown and crouch down clearing up the glass. It was obvious that hurricane Mia left nothing unscathed.

Gracie barks within the house, making me dust off my hands and stand. I'm about to head in to see why Nancy was back so soon. Not that I minded, it was nice to have company.

However it wasn't Nancy stepped into the garden. It was Zak.

We both pause looking at each other from across the garden. Knowing this should be a happy, exciting and relieving moment, him returning home... Early as well. But thanks to Mia, this little reunion has been tarnished and I shift nervously on my feet.

You see, whilst Zak worked throughout last night, I laid awake, staring at the ceiling, wondering if he would call it quits, allowing my mind to taunt me viciously. So far Mia had made it difficult for us, she was hell bent on creating problems for Zak and now she had. By trashing his home, his place, his lair. He works hard, I can see that through everything he does and he doesn't  need me around to have that destroyed before him.

The silence was crippling. I wish he would yell, scream, anything but stand there silent. My emotions were struggling to stay in, I want to throw myself at him with apologies, whilst also wanting to remain still in case he says it's over. My body is fidgeting and lungs feel like they were expanding, waiting to explode.

"I will go." I struggle out, digging my nails into the palms of my hand. I figured I would bite the bullet, make this easier for him.

I watch as he looks around his Zen like garden, taking the destruction in. His eyes finally resting on the hummingbird feeder.

"Say something..." I urge causing his eyes to look up at me.

He doesn't, instead he crosses the gap between us and pulls me in for a deep kiss. For a moment I'm confused, but then sadness hits me, this is it. Isn't it? This is him saying goodbye and it's because of that, I start to cry against him.

Feeling him pull away, I lower my head and wipe my tears, he didn't need to deal with me as well as his home. I chide myself and try to shove all my emotions back into their box and slam the lid.

"Hey.." Zak whispers lifting my chin. "Elle."

"I get it. I do. It's a lot to deal with and you have enough on your plate at the moment..." I sniffle. "Just send me the bill after. It's the least I can do."