Chapter 33

The next day..

After the conversation between myself and Zak yesterday, things just seemed off. I had woke up from my nap to a quieter more reserved Zak and no matter how much I tried to entice a conversation, he just seemed a million miles away.

It was now morning and things hadn't really changed, we woke up, had minimal conversation before having breakfast in almost complete silence.

I hated it.

Our vibe had gone, our energy of bouncing off each other had dissolved and I was beginning to think that maybe he is fed up of my company, that I had brought trouble to his door. I know I said I would stay another week, but I have considered going back to my own house, before I ruined whatever this was.

So whilst I still deliberated that idea, I kept quiet, read a book on his couch in the morning sun and tried not to be a nuisance.

"You all right?" Zak asks passing through the lounge, looking up from his phone.

I smile, pleased that he had started a conversation and not walked through... God I was becoming needy.

"Yes thanks." I reply, before taking in his clothes and hair. "Are you off to the museum today?"

"I am actually off to a meeting about the show."

"Important one?"

"Kinda. I think it's important for the people around me." He says, shaping up his hair.

"Fair enough."  I reply getting up off the couch and walking over to him. I can't help but smooth over the lapels of his jacket. "Drive safe."

"I will. Be good."

"I can never promise that."

He chuckles gives me a kiss before heading out, leaving me with my phone, thoughts and Gracie.

Maybe it's me, maybe it is all in my head? Maybe I'm overthinking things again?

Sighing, I flop down on the couch and stare at the door, like a dog desperate for it's owner to come back I end up picking up the book and putting my nose between the pages again.

When the book fails to distract me from my thoughts, I set it down and look around the house. Knowing I had a few hours to kill, I hop up and begin some housework. Cleaning clears the mind, or something like that.

From stripping the bed, to washing, pressing shirts, to playing with Gracie and dusting chess pieces.

Yes I am that bored.

After that, I am back on the couch, staring at the book as if it has become an imaginary friend, when I hear the front door open and close.

"Hey." Billy smiles.

"Hey Billy, whats up? How did your meeting go?"

"I'm good, what meeting?"

"The one about the show... The one Zak has gone to."

Billy looks at me confused "I don't.- We had a video call the other week with the network. There isn't one booked for today." He pulls his phone out and checks before frowning. "Nope, that's why I am here, me and Zak were going to shot some lead. I take it he isn't here then?"

I shake my head, realising that he has lied about where he is going. "Maybe I got it wrong? Maybe there is a meeting at the museum?"

"No, he wasn't going in today. Bacon isn't going in either as he is spending time with his son."

My stomach sinks a little but I nod "Must have misheard him then."

I know for a fact I didn't...