Chapter 39

There's a moment of silence in the car, as I stare at the woman I had once called my best friend. I used to think she had my best interests at heart, as much as I had hers, but I was wrong.

Since starting my relationship with Zak, she had proved that. But what I could also remember a time when she encouraged me to pursue Zak. Now, I was at a loss, confused and angry.

"Did you invite her over?" Zak asks, uncertainty touching his voice.

My hand tightens on his. "No."

He gives my fingers a supportive squeeze. "How do you want to play this?"

That was a question.. How did I want to play this? Do I get out the car and make an effort? Or do I get out the car and return the slap she gave Zak?

"El.." Zak calls, making me look away from a brooding Mia to him.

"I don't know.."

He sighs. "Let's get this over with.. I better prepare myself for another slap."

We both leave the car, but I don't approach my home until Zak is at my side and walking with me. If anything, we are a united front.

"Elle." Mia says to me, before shooting a glare at Zak.

"Mia." I respond.

"I came to tal-"

"Before you say anything else. I want an apology." I say interrupting her.

"That's what I came to do. To apologise to you."

I scoff. "Not to me. I want you to apologise to Zak. For hitting him."

Mia shoots him another meaningful glare before lowering her head, I have no doubt that she is getting angry at the thought, but her actions were uncalled for. I could have walked over and slapped her in return, but then I would be stooping to her level.

"I'm sorry." She mutters.

"I'm not accepting that. Actually look at him, Mia. Or this conversation is over."
She lifts her head, pinning me with a deadly stare.

"You gonna hit me too? Do it. But don't think I won't defend myself. You were out of line, again."

Mia then looks at Zak and with a struggled effort, she apologises to him. I look to Zak who nods briefly before looking at me. I can tell he wants to be anywhere but here right now, so I suggest that he empties the car, as he does that, I unlock the front door for him.

"So my key, it didn't work." Mia says.

"I know, I changed the locks. Landlord advised it."

She nods. "Tell me to go take a hike, but I want to talk with you.."

"About what? There seems a hell of a lot to get through."

"I know.."

I begrudgingly invite her in, making sure she goes straight into the lounge and not into the kitchen where Zak would be. My hospitality goes out the window as I don't offer her a drink and sit down.

Mia sits opposite on the couch looking a little nervous, a part of me feels sorry for her, but the larger part of me feels sympathy for Zak and it's because of that part, that I don't let her nervousness disarm me.

"I could have handled all this better." She says.  I don't comment, wanting her to continue. "I don't know what happened, why I got so twisted up. I want you to be happy, I do. But then I found all that stuff online about Zak and suddenly he wasn't the perfect guy for you. I could see all these red flags, so I began printing what I could."