Chapter 5

Zak POV.

I glance up from my phone when I hear the heavy front door of the gym swing close. It's there I find Elle, looking even worse than what she did inside the gym. My building frown falls away when I see her tugging at her clothes uncomfortably before moving over to me, an unsure look biting at her features.

"Ready?" I ask casually, trying not to notice how different she has changed from the bouncing, back talking woman I had met the other day.

Now she was almost withdrawn and exhausted. It was only her hair which illuminated her, it had been pulled up into a ponytail in the gym, now it was down around her shoulder, displaying the shine in it.

"Actually-" her voice breaks before she swallows and straightens her back, as if she's prepared a speech. "Actually, I'm gonna drive home. Alone."

How do I tell her, essentially a stranger, that she's not driving anywhere whilst looking so... ill?

My mind ripped through ideas, even going to the extreme lengths of stealing her keys, but I came up with none.

"Where's the douche too?" I ask.

"Ed. His name is Ed."

I shrug "To-mate-o, tomato. He wasn't concerned when you almost crushed your sternum with a weight bar. So don't worry about what I've nicknamed him. He still following his ex?"

Her jaw ticks in annoyance before she nods "I told him too. The man needs closure."

"So this isn't about being a rebound or a second date?" I poke.

"Ye- well, no. It was, but now it's not. It's about helping him get closure." She says.

"Even if he doesn't want it?" I ask.

She rolls her jaw, most likely grinding her teeth together before sighing "Everyone needs to move on eventually. Anyway, it's nice meeting you again. But I have to go... So."

Turning on her feet, she barely takes a step before an excuse falls out of my mouth. It's a good one, so good in fact, I plan to use it again.

"Eat with me. I hate eating alone."

It's a lie, of course. After years being a bachelor, I've come accustom to my own space. I share my home with Gracie, but I've yet to sit her to a dining table.

"What are you thinking about?" She says, snapping me back to the here and now.

"Sorry?" I ask.

"You. Your smile... What made you smile like that?"

I part my lips to answer, when I pause "I'll tell you over lunch?"

She's defiant, she's looking for another argument as to why she can't come with me. Maybe I am making her uncomfortable? Maybe I've read this wrong again?

"Fine." She sighs before walking towards me. "But we are taking this insanely flash car... It puts mine to shame."

I grin triumphantly. "Allow me to get the door for you."

Sliding around the car, I open her door and watch as she pauses looking inside at the interior. "Actually... I might-"

"Get in."  I insist.

"I could totally open my own door." She mutters before sliding in. I don't miss her little smile when I close the door and round the car, getting in beside her.

"Everything to your standards?" I ask watching her inspect it.

"This is.... Wow." She breaths plugging in her belt. I do the same before starting up the car and pulling out of the gym parking lot.