Chapter 22

The second day of me working from home sparks a phone call from Mia asking if everything is okay. I inform her that everything is fine and that she would be the first to know if it wasn't because of the watch, but that doesn't stop her poking and prodding at where I was yesterday. Which leads me to tell her about tonight and the investigation at Zak's museum.

Her response is silence. Literal silence. In fact I wonder if the phone had cut off, but a quick check of the screen shows that she is on the other end, still.... I hope. I only tell her because of the watch and the chance of it picking up a false reading tonight, should my heart rate accelerate or temperature change.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" She finally speaks.

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"Uh, your epilepsy, Elle? What if something triggers it off?"

"Zak will be there, he is staying with me for the entire night. I will be fine, its an experience and why not do it with a professional?"

I can tell she doesn't like the idea and no matter how much I try, there would be no convincing her.

"So what time are you doing this? Just so I know not to panic."

"Uh, around 9pm. The museum is shutting a little earlier tonight, perks of knowing the owner." I say trying to make a joke, but it falls flat.

We eventually end the call as I finish up the last request. Hitting the enter button on the keyboard, I smile and shut down my laptop. I had woken early this morning with excitement, it had stayed, now at almost 11am, I had finished work, leaving me with plenty of time to do my own research. I wanted to try and watch a couple episodes of Zak's show to know what to expect.

Hearing my phone, I clamber off the couch and grab it off charge. Seeing it's a video call from Zak, I answer.

"Good morning."

"Hey you." He smiles.

It looks as though he is somewhere in his house, I try to work it out, but I give up, in favour of looking at him. He's wearing his hat this morning, hiding his hair from me.

"How are you this morning?"

"I'm great, excited about tonight." I tell him. "You?"

"I'm good. I'm nervous about tonight."

A clock chimes somewhere behind him, making him glance away before looking back at me. "11am. Time to take those pills."

"Sure is.." I tell him, moving around the house and doing just that. I balance the phone against the sugar pot whilst I grab my medication and a glass of water, just for his peace of mind, I take the tablet in front of him. "All done."

"Good girl."

For some reason, I feel a surge of happiness from his praise. "So what should I wear tonight, is there a dress code?"

"Black. Anything black."

"Okay, I can totally do that." I tell him wandering up the stairs into my room.

"You finished for the day?"

"I have, woke up extra early, couldn't sleep, got around 15-20 requests done and now I'm ready to find Casper."

He laughs "If only it was that easy."

We talk some more about the museum until Zak suggests I come over so that I can get a head start on using the equipment. Knowing its a good idea, I tell him I'll be over in a bit and wrap up the conversation to take a shower and get ready.