Chapter 34 [m]

Zak POV

It doesn't take me long to remember that I was suppose to be hanging out with Billy today and when I try to ring Elle's phone, I'm not surprised to find it on the kitchen table, vibrating away. So, I take a chance, knowing how inquisitive Elle is and how much of a push over Billy can be, I head to the location where I usually go to shoot shit.

Sure enough, when I pull up Billy is stood beside Elle, positioning her arms a little higher, as she holds a gun in her hand. For safety reasons, I don't make a sound until she has fired the shot. Unfortunately she misses the can ahead.

Billy is the first to see me. "What's up bro?!"

Elle glances in my direction quickly, before turning back and aiming the gun again. I have no doubt that she is angry with me.

"I could ask you the same.." I sigh. "Shooting. Really?"

"She was bored, man. How did that 'meeting' go?" He throws back, giving me the knowing look. "And what has happened to your face?"

"It's a long... Long story." I mutter. As much as I love Billy and see him as a brother, I don't want to hash out what happened with him until I have spoke with Elle. Whenever that may be, now she is shooting. "How is she doing?"

"Not bad for a first timer. We spoke about the guns, went through the usual safety. Not hit the can yet but there is room for improvement."

A few more rounds fire off, each missing the can sat on the log a few 100 metres ahead of her. I watch as Elle shifts on her feet, kicking the dirt about before rolling her shoulders.

"I hate the idea that she is holding that." I tell Billy as he looks over.

"Sexist much?"

"No. No it's not that... It's nice to know that she may be able to defend herself.."

"But you'd rather be the one holding the gun if it ever came to it." He fills in.

"Yeah.."

'Plink'

My eyes shoot to the can, which has shot off the log and look straight back to Elle.

"Yes!" Billy cheers.

But I have seen it. I have watched her enough over the past week to know how she moves. Hell I have been memerised by the hip swaying, fingers stroking, smile spreading and the spring in her step. I know...

As her arms drops and the gun slips between her fingers, her knees begin to bend, but before she can hit the ground, I have her against my chest, going down onto my knees with her.

"Easy.." I whisper pulling her head back so that I can see her face. Her eyelids have dropped forward, but I can hear her breathing and see her chest moving. "Breathe.. I'm right here."

"Is she okay?" Billy asks.

"Time it. Another seizure."

"Already on it."

I reach up and move the hair out of her face not wanting the sensation of her hair to panic her when she comes around. Then as quick as it started, it finishes and Elle opens her eyes.

"Welcome back." I smile.

She gives me a weak smile back before she begins to frown and reaches out, touching the bruised side of my face. She blinks slowly for a few seconds observing it, before looking up towards Billy. "The can.."

"Yeah you hit it."

She nods before looking at me again. "Did I-?" She gestures to my cheek.

"No sweetheart."