Chapter 27

How could they do that to me?!

How could they think I'd accept being treated like that?!

Old Elle would have smiled and scooted over in her seat. Whilst acting a little coy at the idea of a man like Ed would want to go on another date with her, even though the last two were awful.

But this Elle, this Elle was entirely different and I know I'm talking about myself in third person, but I'm struggling to grasp the concept of why Mia and Sophie thought they could do that. Ambush me with pieces of paper littered with statement and words to tarnish and blacken Zak's name.

To try make me see the sleeping, vulnerable man that I had shared a bed with this morning, nothing but a monster, a sadistic twisted monster.

Worse than Cole. That is what Mia had said. That Zak was worse than Cole, but he couldn't be, because I don't think anyone could be as evil as what that man was. The emotional and mental abuse I suffered..

Mia knew, she knew the mark it had left on me and why I don't really trust anyone. Why I keep a key in the door at all times, why I avoid certain places in Vegas because I know he is likely to be there.

I drove around Vegas aimlessly, because I didn't want to go home. I didn't want to be confined within four walls and let my mind taunt me into going onto a computer, to find what Mia had and reading it all.  I didn't want to see the bad side of Zak because I wasn't ready to see that yet. All I had gotten was brilliant, attentive, funny, caring, a little kooky, vulnerable, patient Zak.

But despite my efforts to stay away from a computer, Mia's words still drilled into my head, like a lobotomy, taunting me into questioning the time I had spent with him. I didn't want that. I don't want that.

I hit my steering wheel hard as I stop at traffic lights, tears burning away at how cruel two people I considered my friends had turned. I thought they would be happy for me, that although he wasn't squeaky clean that they wouldn't judge him based on what was said, but judge him on what they see, hear and feel when they met him. Now they wouldn't be getting that chance.

When my phone rings, I hit the button to cancel the call, not wanting to be disturbed by anyone. It had gone off a few times since I had been in the car, but I hadn't looked at it.

"El?"

Zak's voice is ice cold, cutting straight through my brain that had been feeling like it had been cooking within my head from all the anger. I gasp, shuddering a breath behind the wheel before looking over at my phone.

I could see him.

He could see me... Clutching the wheel and trying not to flip out and cry.

"Are you okay? What has happened?"

I blink quickly and turn my head to wipe my eyes quickly. He will not see me cry. I will not let Mia or Sophie ruin this. I won't.

"Where are you?"

"I-" I stop and look around because I wasn't sure where I was.

"Elle, what has happened?" He says sounding a little more urgent.

"Hold on." I push out, seeing the lights had changed. I move the car and park on the side of the street before looking at Zak who is now closer than ever to his phone, as if he would be able to see more.

"I take it Lunch didn't go well."

I shake my head. "Oh Zak... I don't know what to think or do right now."

"Talk to me. What you need to do right now, is talk to me."

Sounds like a reasonable idea, but I didn't want to admit the bullshit I had just dealt with.