Chapter 45

A few months later..

Weeks turn to months and the seizure log continues to grow. I don't want to admit to myself that perhaps now is the time to consider surgery. I've hit dead end after dead end with my medication and it makes me a little sad.

The idea of surgery makes me shudder as I stand in the bathroom staring at my reflection.

Epilepsy is an invisible disease, until it raises its ugly head.

"I'm back!" Zak hollers through his home making me snap back to the here and now. Tugging on my t-shirt, I head out the bathroom to find him.

As I turn the corner, I stumble over his bag and snatch it up off the floor giving him narrowed eyes as I take it to the wash room. Having just  got home last night, he barely had time to put his bag down before I pounced. I regret nothing.

"We were both responsible for that bag placement." He teases coming in to help me unload it.

"I know. Gracie enjoy her walk?" I ask.

"That she did. Did you enjoy your lie in?"

"After I got rid of my jelly legs, yes." I reply as he smirks. Him being the cause of said, jelly legs.

He wraps his arms around my waist and nuzzles into my neck, having become clingy since being home, not that I'm complaining, I freakin' love it!

"Tired?"

"Nope. Shirt looks good on you." He mumbles, giving my hips a squeeze.

Today was game day for Vegas Knights and I had a whole day set up. Call me organised but I wanted to make snacks today, so that I could sit in front of the tv when the game came on and not move a single inch! I've been excited for the past 3 days for this hockey match.

I'm a big fan. So sue me.

"It's a great shirt on me... Got to say, you're letting me down. Where is your jersey?!"

"I'll put it on nearer the time."

"You better!"

As I put his clothes on to wash, my phone begins to ring and I have to tug it from my back pocket to see who it is.

Seeing the withheld number, I pause, deliberating on whether to answer or not.

I cancel the call.

"You still getting them?" Zak asks following me out the washroom, having sensed my mood change.

"Yeah. Just a few." I tell him, tossing my phone on the side and rubbing my temple.

"A few what? Times a week? Month?"

"Day.." I admit.

His brows lift.

I don't tell him that it happens almost 30 times a day.

It's been months since Mia tried to break into Zak's home to do, goodness knows what. Both myself and Zak have been to court and had protection orders put into place.

However Mia disappeared before they were served and now she was currently in the wind. I suspected the calls were from her, hence my apprehension on answering them.

"Not much longer." He promises, crossing the room to rub my arms. "If you let me hire that PI earlier, maybe-"

"Maybe I wouldn't be getting these calls? Yeah, I know." I answer. "It just sucks."

"I know sweetheart."

I didn't want to be in a bad mood for the rest of the day, stewing over what Mia may or may not be up to. So I decide to ask Zak about his trip away, which stems a flow of conversation.