Chapter 13

I wake to sunshine, bright golden rays of sunshine, streaming through the large glass windows. It's beautiful and unapologetic, normally, I'd grumble at the sight of sun invading my sleep, but it's hard to be in a bad mood when everything looks so heavenly.

With a slight chill in the air, I look down and realise what has happened.

Oh Elle...

My clothes that I had been wearing when I went to sleep were now discarded on the floor and I was down to my underwear beneath the blanket. For most, this would set alarm bells ringing, but for me, it only sent the embarrassment meter rocketing.

I was a known sleep stripper, I had been for as long as I could remember. My mom often told me tails of how as a baby, she would dress me in cute outfits, only to find me down to a diaper by the time I had finished wriggling around.

"You absolute mess." I tell myself, hiding my body as I grabbed the clothes off the floor and began putting them on as quickly as I could.

With Zak not being on the floor, I could only hope and pray that he disappeared before the show had started and didn't have to witness me pulling off my t-shirt or pants and slinging them away from me.

Once I was dressed, I got up and folded the blanket up before heading off to find Zak, to inform him that I have to go. I had to shower and go to work, otherwise I'd never hear the end of it from Mia and Sophie. Mia especially as I have no doubt she has checked in on my location this morning.

Where is my phone?

After going into almost every room in Zak's house, I end up outside his room, looking at the large black double doors as if they held something sinister behind them.

I knock and wait before waiting even more. "Zak?" I call before knocking a little harder.

I didn't see a note anywhere, so he must be still here.. Gracie was in the garden when I went out earlier.
I try a few more times but get no answer. Maybe he has earphones on and can't hear me?

Not wanting to leave without thanking him for letting me stay, I clamp my hand over my eyes, respecting his wishes not to show me his room and open the bedroom door.

I slide my foot along the carpet, not wanting to trip over anything or stub my toe.

"Zak? You here?" I call out inching my way in further.

They say if you cut off a sense, the others sharpen and boy were they right. The carpet felt a little more luxurious under my toes, the sound of my breathing became louder and the air smelt like him and his cologne.

I liked it. A lot.

Inhaling a little more, because why not, I call out again and wonder where the heck he has disappeared to.

"Ell-"

His voice coming from behind me makes me jump and as I spin and step back, I trip over something, landing on the floor with a thud. I hear his laugh and drop my hand to feel around the floor with my eyes clenched shut.

"I'm hoping that was your suitcase and not a dead body." I tell him, patting around some more until I tap onto something hard.

"It's my case. Good morning, you can open your eyes."

"Nope. You didn't want to show me your room and I respect that, I just wanted to thank you for letting me stay last night."

"You're welcome, but please open your eyes, you look a little strange sat in a pile of my clothes with your eyes clamped shut."