Chapter 41

Pulling up outside the house, I ignore the gasps and state of my car, by going straight into the house to find Zak and Gracie.

I check the entire house before I spot Gracie in the garden, along with Zak. Flying out the back door, Zak looks up from his phone.

"Is she okay?" I ask, hurrying towards them and crouching when I'm close enough.

"Yeah, I think it scared her a little. She's been really needy." He says watching as she comes over to me and shoves herself against my side. Her bumping sets me off kilter and I land on my butt, letting her climb in between my knees and rest against me with her tail wagging furiously.

"Hey sweetheart. It's okay." I coo.

"You'll get covered in white hair." Zak warns.

"I don't mind. As long as this little lady is okay." I mumble.

"El..."

I look up to see Zak staring at Sophie and Henry who have stepped out my back door cautiously.

"Is the dog okay?" Henry calls over.

I nod giving her a kiss on the forehead before getting up. "They are okay Zak. I don't think they are the problem anymore." I tell him and head back to the house.

"So the car is pretty shit." Zak sighs as we all stand at the back door.

"I'd say. It's Mia. It has to be." Henry says.

"We can't just suspect her-"

"Elle. Whoever did your car was angry and calculated. Who else do you know that is capable of doing that, at the moment?" Sophie questions.

"I know.."

"Keying the car and only doing three tyres is calculating. It also costs more to replace the tyres. The window was anger." Henry explains.

"But why? Because I'm with someone she doesn't like? It seems pretty ridiculous."

"After what I've just told you? I don't think it is at all." Henry replies.

"So this is Mia?" Zak asks looking between us as I rub my forehead in stress.

Henry steps away and pulls Zak aside, probably to inform him of what the hell has been going on, whilst I stay with Sophie and Gracie.

"She's a cute dog." Sophie smiles, crouching down to say hello too.

"Such an amazing and good natured little girl. Nervous at loud noises though."

"Some dogs are like that. You're not only smitten with the owner, but his dog as well."

"Hook, line and sinker.. You know, all Mia has tried to do is take the shine off me and Zak. Plague us with enough shit and hope we split up."

"I bet that is part of her plan. You both have to ensure that it doesn't happen though.."

"Guess we are past boiling bunnies huh?"

Sophie is about to reply when a heavy knock sounds at the front door making me look for Zak instantly.

"Who-"

"It's the police." Zak says. "I had to ring them, we need a report and case number, for the insurance. I'm asking you now, do you want me to include Mia?"

I'm touched that he's even asking, especially after everything that's happened and whilst she was my friend. I also had other people to consider...

"Yes. Henry, you better tell them everything else."

Both men nod before heading into the house to speak with police whilst I head back out into the garden with Gracie and Sophie at my side.