The Crow

Hinata's POV (day before 11th birthday)
I've never been so excited in my life. Tomorrow I get to find out my companion! I was bouncing around my back garden throwing volleyball after volleyball at the side of the house, practicing receiving and digs - the biggest smile ever plastered on my face.
I'd been at this all day, my body not once losing  any energy as I continued to practice my speed, flexibility and volleyball skills. I was really fast and I was pretty good at jumping if I do say so myself but I know my volleyball skills needs work.
I guess there's not much you can do solo in a term sport. Catching the ball in my hands once again my mind ran away from me, contemplating what animal I wanted as a companion. My family had rather small companions, mostly reptiles from what I recall. My mother's was the best. She had a Komodo dragon that was so huge she could only let it free from its tattoo confines outside in our garden. I wondered if maybe I'd get a reptile as a companion. Reptiles were said to represent evil and cunning behaviour, but in reality they're quite gentle creatures. As times changed, reptiles were more considered to represent serenity rather than evil however most books I've read still have evil as their connotation.
I suddenly snapped out of my thoughts when I was pushed gently from behind causing me to drop the volleyball in my hand.
I turned around to see my mother's Komodo dragon, Zurui looking at me with playful eyes.
I scratched behind his head just above his neck - the place where he likes it most, smiling and giggling away to myself when I say his tail wagging just like a puppy's would. The thing about Zurui is that he was big enough for me to ride on and he's gotten used to that since that's all I'd ever do as a child. I'm positive it's something he loves to do.

Zurui turned to the side when I removed my hand after giving him a good scratch, indicating to me that he wanted me to hop on: so I did. I giggled and laughed as I continued to play with Zurui for the rest of the afternoon - completely forgetting my previous train of thought about what companion I was hoping for tomorrow.

Our playing was interrupted when my mother called me for dinner and I climbed off Zurui so he could return to my mother's ankle as a tattoo. I only now just noticed that the sky has changed no longer the brilliant blue but a fade from blue to orange to yellow painting the horizon. I walked inside my house, washing myself ready for dinner before I sat at the table.
Eyes sparkling, I licked my lips as my mother placed the food on the table in front of me.
My little sister, Natsu, was sat at the table too, gently slamming her hands on the table in her childlike manner.
She was only two so I didn't really mind it. I noticed as she tried to copy my actions of licking her lips, more drool leaving her lips making me giggle slightly. Leaning over I used her bib to wipe up the drool before returning to goggle over my own food. I thanked my mother for the food before practically inhaling it - loving the delicious taste of it as always.
I was so distracted by the food I only just managed to hear my mother's question: "Are you nervous about tomorrow Shouyou?"
Gulping down my mouthful I smiled at her with a wide grin.
"No I'm really excited actually. I can't wait to see what I get!" I exclaimed rather loudly.
"I'll be nervous for you then shall I?" My mother chuckled at my childish reaction.
"My baby boy is growing up. Just Imagine if you get Itazura." She wondered turning her attention to Natsu who had made a mess of herself.

Itazura was a famous companion, only fated to those worthy of dealing with her intelligence. She was a crow - a beautiful one - capable of granting her owner all knowledge of the universe. If I remember correctly, legend claims she last gifted her power of intelligence to a scientist struggling to come up with a cure for a serious plague attacking the globe. She combined herself to her owner and together they were able to almost instantly come up with a cure to the plague - saving the entire world from near extinction. Her power was recorded from then on - despite disappearing shortly after the scientist died of a heart attack.

I smiled thinking about the legend that was taught to us as children.
"What are you smiling about Shouyou?" My mother asked interrupting my train of thought.
"Oh nothing just remembering Itazaru's tale. I doubt I'll get her though. She hasn't been seen in five hundred hears. Plus she's a bird and pretty much all of our family has reptile companions." I replied as I stood up to take my plate to the sink.
"Well we can do nothing but wait and see." My mother said as she walked up to me carrying hers and my sisters finished plates over to the sink. "I'll wash up Shouyou. You head upstairs and get ready for bed. Early night tonight okay?"
"Okay mom." I agreed giving her a hug before dashing upstairs and changing into my pjs. I climbed into bed after brushing my teeth and washing my face, my mind bubbling to the brim with possible outcomes to tomorrow. I was unsure on what I really wanted. A snake? Or maybe a leatherback sea turtle?! Or even an iguana?! I don't care. I'll be happy with any companion I get.
It was difficult to sleep after my mother said good night but I finally managed to drift to sleep, excitement coursing through my veins ready for the next day.

The next day

I sprang awake the next morning, my body still bubbling with excitement as I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom to get a shower and prepare for the day. I only just stayed in the shower long enough for me to completely wash the shampoo out of my hair, a wide smile painted on my face and refusing to disappear as I finished washing my body at rapid speed - far to excited to be waiting any longer.

Getting out of the shower, I rushed to my room and dried myself off, my orange hair as messy as ever after being dried whilst I dressed myself in somewhat smart clothes - jeans and a short sleeved polo shirt. I practically bounced down the stairs, my smile never once leaving my face; my jaws somehow not hurting.
I stepped outside shivering at the sudden chill racing down my spine, my nerves finally setting in as I looked around seeing all my family members (baring my father) and their companions stood to the sides, creating a pathway from the house to my mother. She was holding a metal cup close to her chest, Zurui stood beside her. Suddenly very stiff, I walked down the passage of people towards my mother pausing once I stood in front of her.

Leaning down, she whispered in my ear "Happy birthday Shouyou". It was simple but I smiled and relaxed as she continued with the ceremony.
"I hold in my hand Seieki, the Spirit Liquid." I noticed my family bow along with their companions as my mother held the cup above her head towards the sunlight. "Today it shall be used to grant Shouyou Hinita his companion for life." She brought the cup down and held it in front of me. I looked inside to see a golden looking liquid inside the cup. With shaking hands I took the cup and brought it to my lips, savoring the unexpected blackberry tang it had. I handed the cup back to my mother before turning to face the rest of my family, tilting my head towards the sky and closing my eyes awaiting the arrival of my companion.
They suddenly snapped open when I heard a squawk echo around the area. I stared along with the rest of my family at the companion flapping its wings in front of me.
My eyes widened, staring into those galaxy like eyes it had unable to believe it really was her before me. I bowed at her, paying respect to the tradition - glimpsing that she also bowed her head in respect. Holding a shaking arm aloft before her, I held my breath pleasing she would accept me. I sighed in relief when she landed on my exposed arm allowing me to pet her with my other hand as I whispered her name.

"Itazura"