T W E N T Y - S E V E N

frank ocean, white ferrari.

My hand flies to cover my mouth but I can't help the strangled scream that escapes me. Oh my goddess, he killed her.

"Motheo," my voice is barely audible as the tears stream down my face.

"I'm sorry, Lerato, I'm so sorry. I wish I could take it back, I regretted it the moment I did it. I just... I was so angry he was there. He was at the gates screaming for me, yelling for her. Begging we release her, his Pack was suffering he needed his Luna back, the Pack needed her.

"But I couldn't give her back, he had completely destroyed Maddy. She hadn't been the same, I had tried so hard, so hard to get her back to her normal self and I had almost succeeded but the final thing she asked of me to help her completely move on was to kill Raheem.

"I told her I couldn't do that, he was an Alpha and despite what he had done he had been a good family friend for years. So I told her I'd do the next best thing — I'd hurt him the way he had hurt her and so I did."

He was so devoted to her, he had killed an innocent woman for her, no wonder he never left. No wonder I was a double life for him, a purer life. One that wasn't tainted by all he had done for Maddy.

He was blinded by her love, up until he met me. I pulled the cover off his face and he finally saw the light and now, now that light was fizzling away. He didn't want to lose the woman he had loved his entire life but he didn't want to lose the light either.

It somehow all made sense but... it wasn't enough.

"While he was calling out for her, I did it. Down in the dungeons. His scream was just as deafening as Maddy's was, he shook those gates and pulled at them until he dented enough for himself to make it through. He found me there staring at her and that... that is why he hates me as he does."

He furiously wiped away the few tears that had slipped past again, "I'm so sorry, Lerato. I know you'll never see me the same again but I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

He rose to his feet just as the front door was tapped, a knock coming from the other side. I turned my nose to the door, needing to confirm it was who I had suspected.

"He won't want to run into you, especially with what you did to his brother. Use the back door."

I make my way to the front door as Motheo exists through the back, I open it for him and smile as much as I can. The red eyes and puffy bags probably making it look more like a grimace.

"I can bring him back on my own, you really look like you need the rest."

He refuses my help as he brings his bags inside, I direct him to the room which was opposite to the one Raheem occupied.

I shake my head, "I'll get my rest once we bring him home, I'm so sorry you had to leave the Pack."

It's his turn to shake his head, "Raheem is my brother, I'd cross the oceans a million times for him."

"I wish my brothers were here."

He places his hand on his shoulder, "They know about Motheo, right?" I nod, "Then you should go to them, spend some time with them. I assure you, Raheem will still be here when you return. I know Motheo was here and with how you look, I can guess what he told you. You need your brothers."

But yours needs me.

We arrived at the hospital and Kea immediately came to my side, "He's doing better, he's a very strong wolf, is he an Alpha?"

"Yeah,"

She gives a knowing look, "He's powerful, well then, you can take him back to yours. He's already well on his way to a one hundred percent recovery."

I hug her tightly, "Thank you so much, Kea."

She pulls back but keeps hold of my shoulders, "You have nothing to worry about, Lee, he's a fighter. He's going to be alright."

I smile at her before I continue my walk to his room, Khalil already there helping him gather what little belongings he has in here.

As soon as his eyes land on me they soften, his entire demeanour lowering. Was I that much of an open book?

I look away from him and take the stuff from Khalil, so that he can help Raheem even though all he does is refuse the help. Either way, we make it to the car and the ride home is silent. It was so unusual for the three of us to be this quiet, I hated it.

We got inside and settled, it was late so I assumed we should all get some rest. We'd talk about the elephant in the room once we were all as close to ourselves as can be.

Khalil was taking a shower when I passed by the bathroom, having to pass by their rooms I involuntarily look into Raheem's as I slow my pace. However, he isn't in there, well at least not within eyesight.

I sigh and enter my room somewhat disappointed until I hear him in mine. Just as I shut the door I see him seated on my couch. My heart races a little as I make my way to him, occupying the space beside him.

I slip off my shoes and bring my feet onto the couch, pulling my knees to my chest. The whole while he watches me carefully, "Did he tell you?" He whispers.

I nod my head, "He did..."

The air is awkward and uncomfortable, I've never felt this aura around us and I can't help but feel angered by it. I didn't want this tension between us.

"We don't have to speak about it, well, at least not tonight we don't."

He smiled weakly, "The last time we put something off when I finally told you it didn't end so well."

I nudged his shoulder gently, "Oh shut up."

He smiled a little brighter and grabbed hold of my forearm before I could bring it back. He pulled me into his lap as he cradled me, his arms wrapping around my waist, my head laying on his chest as he placed his chin on my head.

"You're my mate, Lerato."

It was a whisper but it sounded so loud to me, it sounded like a shout. However, it was laced with so much emotion, so much vulnerability and hope. So much hope.

I tried to pull back so I could look him in his eyes but he kept my caged against him.

"I never thought I'd be able to feel these emotions again, never thought I'd ever hold someone like this and feel so complete. Dammit, I never thought my soul would hum like this again, that my wolf would be overjoyed like this.

"I could have never imagined you the way you are even if I ever tried. Lerato, you are the most caring, selfless person I have ever met. You are such a Queen in every right you'll never understand. The Moon Goddess never makes mistakes and she definitely didn't make one when she made you.

"The Royals are so damaged and the community will never see it because they hide behind those walls. They are hidden in their anonymity. You, you are the Queen we need, the Queen everyone needs. You are a natural born leader and nurturer, I'm not worthy for you because I too am so tainted. I am so damaged, I'd be just as bad as the Royals if I stood beside you.

"I don't know if third chances exist but maybe just maybe somehow you were my second chance but I... I wasn't yours."