T H I R T Y - S I X

T H I R T Y - S I X
elaine, risky.

"Madeline is not my mate, I selfishly let myself lie to you all and lie to my true mate. I met her on the night of my annual Grand Ball, foolishly thinking that I could outsmart and outrun the mate-bond. I chose Madeline over her, thinking Madeline would be the perfect fit to be my Queen, your Queen.

"I will allow my mate to speak to you all a few days from now and we will unveil the full truth to you all. Allowing time for you all to send through all the questions you may have and all the things necessary for me to make up for my transgressions. Please be mindful that my mate played no part in any of this.

"As much as you have been deceived, so has she. However, we ask you as a united pair to please bare with us. We are trying to right my wrongs. Thank you."

The speaker cut off and the Royal crest vanished as regular programming resumed.

"Oh my goddess." I muttered as all eyes were on me.

My phone immediately went off, vibrating with all sorts of notifications and ringing with phone calls from multiple names. They all flashed until they gave up and the next person tried.

No one said a word and no one made a move, until Asanté questioned, "Am I missing something? Why are we staring at Lerato?"

My heart warmed a little knowing that even though they were mates, Danica didn't go against her word. She never spoke a word of this to Asanté. She looked at me with wide eyes and I just simply nodded, telling her she could go ahead.

I slide my phone into my back pocket as I get to my feet, "It's not much of a secret now." I muttered as I made my way to the backdoor, "Please don't follow me. I'll be back in a moment."

I opened the door and walked out into the cold air, it whipped around me and I just welcomed it. I cannot believe I was foolish enough to believe him, to trust him. How in the hell did he expect me to ever be with him after this?

And he still has the damn nerve to act as though we were a united front. To act as though I was in on this with him, as though I was fine with what he did, fine with how I was treated?

Well, if he wants to play the blindsiding game — I can play that game too. I stomp my foot in anger and withhold a scream as I dig my nails into my palms. Only when I feel something trickle down my clenched fingers do I realise I've drawn blood.

I grunt as I make my way to the outdoor tap and rinse my hands clean, the cuts immediately healing. Just as I dry them against my jeans, I feel my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I pull it out to see an incoming call from the King himself, the deceitful little shit.

"I really believed you, my goddess, I actually fucking believed you! I believed in you!" I yell as soon as I accept the call.

I hear him sigh, "This way was better, Lerato. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. You'll still get to say everything you wanted but —"

"But nothing, you scumbag! I'm getting in front of that camera and —"

The blindsiding game.

I take a deep breath as I try to calm myself remembering that I can't throw him too far, "I just can't believe you lied, why couldn't you just tell me the truth? What kind of united front is this, united in front of the community but not to each other?"