F O R T Y - F I V E

F O R T Y - F I V E
rihanna, goodnight gotham.

Baba: ngicela ungilinde.

[please wait for me.]

My brows furrow as I stare at the message that had interrupted me from the short rest I was about to have in this car. Amanda must've felt my confusion because she questions me.

I lift the phone so that she can read better and she giggles, "Your father is here, Lerato. I was wondering why we were leaving him in the first place."

"Oh my goddess!" I immediately open the backseat door and peak out searching for my father. He notices my popped head and starts to head towards the car.

"I didn't know what car you were in, cishe ngacabanga ukuthi ungishiyile."

[... I almost thought that you left me.]

Before he can enter the car I barrel towards him and engulf him in a hug. Everything that has transpired couldn't have gone smoother but at the same time it couldn't have gone worse. My mind is in a crazed frenzy that I know only my mate could help calm — the damn irony.

"Do you think I've lost them?"

My father pulls back from the embrace although his hands remain on my shoulders, "No sthandwa sami, I doubt you could do anything that would make either one completely pull away from you. Your bonds are strong, no matter who you choose... if you choose."

"If?"

He looks around before leading me back to the car, "We'll talk at home."

My brothers are the first to arrive and to my great sadness neither brought their pups. Their excuse being that it was five and that was no time to be taking kids out. So their mothers stayed behind with them.

"That sucks," I rolled my eyes. I knew in their homes that my little rascals were causing mayhem and that was enough to put a smile on my face.

Just as TJ opened his mouth the front door opened and I just knew it was my mother. She never used that doorbell, this — in her mind — was her house. Nevermind that she never put a cent towards it, the mere fact that she raised me and put ample cents into my education that lead to me a achieving this house meant that she had actually put more than a cent towards buying it.

And even though he's here right now, that logic was good enough for my father so he went with it too.

"Ma." I smile warmly at her, pulling her in for a warm embrace much like I had my father a half hour prior.

Once everyone is seated Amanda helps me as I briefly do all my host duties, as soon as everyone had whatever they were craving — the air changed. The seriousness of all that is going on lingering, waiting to be released.

"I'm going to be Queen," are the first words I utter once all the light stuff has been spoken. TJ chokes on his Sprite, "What?"

"How?" Anathi echoes.

I shrug, "Honestly, I'm still trying to piece it together too. Alpha Kade said that The Council chooses a Royal, as long as they are of Alpha lineage they are suitable. I would think it takes more than that but I suppose he was simplifying it for the moment."