T H I R T Y - T H R E E

beyoncé, pray you catch me.

I glance at my smartwatch and grimace, I was definitely going to be late. I narrow my eyes at Motheo and yell in frustration.

"Get in the car." I grumble.

I walk out the house and he follows me, I throw him the keys and he locks up as I get into my car. He gets into the passenger seat whilst I start the car, "What did you say?"

I shoot a text to my assistant telling her I'd be a few minutes late and asking her if she could send me my schedule so I could see what time my first consultation was.

"I'll do it, I'll break things off with Madeline and tell everyone the truth. My family, the wolves, everyone."

I shake my head at him, he can't be the one to tell the wolves. It would ruin everything for me, "I tell the wolves, you just back me up."

He shrugs his shoulders, "Whichever way you want it, I'll do it."

I slow down when the robot turns red finally being able to give him some of my attention I turn my head to look at him, "Motheo this isn't a joke, do you understand that? There's so much riding on this, I can't have you doing this halfheartedly."

He almost looks offended, "I didn't sleep on that bench as a halfhearted attempt to cheer you up. I'm really here, Lerato. I'm here for you, I want you to let me in, give me a chance. I was an idiot to ever think that I could live without you once I met you, I don't want to be an idiot much longer."

The car behind me hoots making me turn my head so I'm completely focused on the road. I press down on the accelerator and start moving.

"Why now? Why when I've met someone else?"

He sighs, "He isn't here now is he?"

I narrow my eyes even though they're still looking straight ahead, "Don't try that nonsense, Motheo."

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry" He holds his hands up for a moment, "I need you, Lerato. It was so much easier when you were in a whole other continent but now you're right here. Besides that, ever since I met you things with Madeline hadn't been the same. Once I said nothing about you after the Ball it was pretty much decided that I were to Bound Madeline."

I pull into my parking space and immediately pull out my phone once I'm parked. I open up the schedule and see that I don't have a patient until ten, thank goodness. If anyone just barges in through the emergency entrance I just hope for their sake they're in human form.

"I've been going about this all wrong and I know now why it took me so long to do it the right way. At first I was afraid, I knew once I told you all that I've done it would immediately push you away. Then when Raheem got involved, it was just jealousy and anger. Everything I was doing was powered by those emotions and I'm sorry, I'm so sorry Lerato. You didn't deserve any of that."

I shut my eyes, placing my head on the steering wheel, "Can I just have time to think about all this? I just... I need to convince myself you aren't lying to me. I mean, you'd be betraying your family ultimately. You can't possibly believe I'd have instantly taken you seriously." My head stays on the wheel as I speak.

I hear him unlock the door, "I understand." I raise my head in question when he doesn't open the door. I realise he wanted me to look at him as soon as a light smile adorns his features.