2~the fight

"Hey Coach," I called heading towards the locker room.

"Hey son, ready for practice?"

"As always"

"Starts in five, tell your teammates and don't be late or you'll have to do push ups and running 'til you puke"

"Yes sir" I said walking in the locker room. As always it's loud and smelly in here. I love it, it gives me adrenaline.

"Jaguars listen up!" I yell and it goes quiet. "Practice starts in five I wouldn't advise being late" the loudness comes back and I feel at peace. I love this place. It's gonna be hard to leave.

"How's your ankle, man?" Maverick asked while I changed.

"It's good I think I'll survive practice"

"Good we can't have you hurt for our first game next week"

"No we can't" I laughed. I really hope my ankle will hold up.

I kept screwing up at practice. My ankle is bothering me and it's really messing with my game.

"Adrien!" Coach yelled. I jogged over to him, even though my ankle hurt like hell.

"Yeah Coach?" I asked, already knowing where this conversation is going.

"What's wrong out there? You're not doing anything right"

"I rolled my ankle"

"When?"

"Yesterday" I said, scratching the back of my head sheepishly.

"And you didn't think to tell me!" He yelled.

"Sorry Dad, it won't happen again"

"Damn right it won't happen again! Go get ice and sit out for the rest of practice. We'll talk about this when we get home"

"Yes sir"
***
I got home before Dad thankfully. Now all I have to do is prepare for the worst. Maybe I can talk to Grandma, surely she can talk to him before he gets to me.

"Granny Em I'm home!" I yelled as I walked in the house setting my keys in the key dish.

"In here boy!" She yelled from the living room.

"Granny I need your help."

"I'm listening"

"Dad's gonna be home soon and he's gonna be really mad at me for not telling him about my ankle."

"What happened to your ankle?"

"I rolled it yesterday at practice. That's besides the point. Can you please talk to him before he talks to me?"

"Adrien I'm not so sure that's a good idea"

"Please Granny it's not that bad of an injury. It'll only take a few days to heal. But dad will take everything away for a month. Plus it didn't hurt that bad. I thought I could push through it. Please?" I gave her my puppy dog eyes.

"Oh alright I'll put in a good word"

"Granny you're the best" I hugged her and headed up to my room.
***
(Maverick) (adrien)
I'm not dead yet but my dad's not home yet. 😅

That's good news

Granny said she'll talk to him before he talks to me

That's good maybe nothing bad will happen

Well just in case I most likely won't have my phone so will you send my streaks

Sure man

See you on the other side my brother

On the other side
***
"I'm home!" Oh no dads home. I'm going to get yelled at and he's gonna take everything away and make me run a lot when I'm healed. I hear voices down the hall. Grandma's talking to him. There's a knock at my door.

"Come in" I call out to the only person it could be. I prepare for the yelling but it never comes. He sits on my bed. "Dad,I'm sorr-"

"No son don't be I'm sorry"

What? Why is he sorry? he didn't do anything wrong. I am so confused

"Why are you sorry? You didn't do anything wrong." I questioned.

"I've been too hard on you. Ever since your mom died, it's been hard. I started pushing you and being strict because I didn't want the same thing happening to you."

"Dad, mom died in a car accident. There's nothing that you can do to prevent anything from happening. You can't prevent someone dying in an accident. When I grow up and have a family, you won't be able to protect me anymore. "

"I know but it's not just your mom dying. It's making the same mistake I did and choosing a girl over your future."

"Dad that girl was your future and without that decision I wouldn't be here right now! Dad, that was the best decision of your life! How could you? How could you regret that? That decision is the reason I'm here! But you couldn't care less about me, huh? You wish you had a career instead of me? If mom hadn't died you would leave! Wouldn't you?"

"I-I son-" I cut him off there.

My eyes were watering. My whole body was shaking. My voice is cracking but also is sharp and loud. I open the door and run out. On my way out the door I grab my jacket and my keys. I'm not going to drive like this, that would be a terrible idea. So I grabbed my board and rode off. Once I reached my destination I pulled out my phone and texted Maverick.
***
Can I come over?

it's almost 10

So?

So aren't you supposed to be home by 10?

Yeah but the thing is I'm already here.

Why?

Can I tell you when I get in there?

Come on up windows open
***
All I have to do is climb the tree and get in the window, something I've done since I was in third grade.

"Hey dude thanks for letting me come." I said. In this emotional state I try to smile but it falters.

"I don't think I had much of a choice plus you're always welcome if you need to get something off your chest."

"Me and my dad...just got into a-a fight" I was crying. He's the only one who's ever seen me like this. "We haven't fought in three years. Since...since Mom died"

"What happened?" Maverick asked. He's my best friend, I can tell him anything and I do. I relay the story back to him.

"Wow man."

"He said he didn't want me to make the same mistake he did and leave my career and future all for a girl. I yelled at him for regretting his decision. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for that decision and I yelled at him for it. I asked him, well more like told him, that if mom hadn't died he would leave to get his career. His lack of answer gave me mine. I think he deserved it. He regretted choosing mom and having me." I ranted. I went from crying to mad.

"I agree but remember dude he still is your dad"

"I know he is but I can't go back tonight. Not after what happened. Can I crash here?"

"Of course you can man. I've always been here and I always will be" I smile. It's more of a sad smile but all the same it's still a smile.

"Thanks dude" I hold out my hand for our handshake that we made when we met in third grade.
***
Hey guys! I almost forgot to publish this chapter! I hope you liked this chapter! There's a great story to come! Comment vote and follow!
               Until next time,
                              Kylagrace21