4~dinner

I got back to Maverick's house and a car was parked outside. I guess Aria's parents are here. I parked, grabbed my bag and walked inside.

I saw Mrs.Thompson with a lot of food in her hands. "Do you need help?" I asked, putting my bag on the ground.

"Oh yes please. Thank you Adrien" she said handing me some of the food in her hands.

"No problem, it's the least I could do for you" I smiled. She's done so much for me since mom died. This is really the least I could do. I don't think there's any way I could thank her for everything.

We walked into the dining room and set the food on the table. Everything smelt amazing as always. Mrs.Thompson is the best cook ever.

"Who's this Jen?" A lady, Aria's mother, asked.

"Oh this is Adrien, Maverick's best friend and is in your daughter's class" Mrs.Thompson explained.

"Hi Adrien it's nice to meet you, I'm Nicole Smith Aria's Mom" She said extending her hand which I shook. "And this is my husband Jason" I shook his hand too. He had a firm hand and hard stare.

"Nice to meet you both but I have to get my stuff upstairs"

"Adrien, go tell Maverick and Aria to wash up and come downstairs for dinner" Mrs.Thompson said.

"Yes ma'am" I said as I got my bag and walked upstairs.
***
"By order of the amazing and great and beautiful Mrs.Thompson y'all have to wash up and get downstairs for dinner" I said in my very terrible royal announcer accent.

"Oh shut up we get it" Maverick said, throwing a pillow at me laughing. I think I even heard a chuckle from Aria but that might be me hearing things.

"You heard the man let's go before your mother comes up here with a wooden spoon" she shoos Maverick out of the room eye rolling me in the process. Yep this girl hates me and I hate her perfect enemies. I got washed up and headed down stairs for dinner.
***
Dinner was weird and uncomfortable. I was the center of attention and Aria didn't seem so pleased about it.

"So Adrien," Mr. Smith started, "what sports do you play?"

After I finished chewing " I play football and track sir" I answered.

"Are you any good at football?" He asked.

"Well my father's the football coach and almost went pro. So I have football blood and I'm captain of the football team. I also like to think I'm pretty good." Aria mumbled something under her breath, like always.

"What was that dear?" Mrs. Smith said.

"Yeah, what was it you wanted to say?" I asked, silently mocking her.

"Oh Nothing" she fake smiled.

"Who's your father?" Mr. Smith continued our conversation. What is with all these questions?

"Conor Dunlap, sir"

"What! Your father is THE Conor Dunlap? Are you serious? That guy is a legend!"

"Jason" Mrs. Smith scolded Mr. Smith. "You're at dinner don't forget that" I took a chance to eat when this happened.

"Sorry honey" he looked back at me eagerly.

"Yes sir, that's my father," I said. I squirmed in my seat feeling very uncomfortable.

"Do you think you could take me to meet him?" He asked eagerly. This has officially gone too far.

"Jason!" Mrs. Smith scolded again. "This boy is obviously uncomfortable. Please be considerate."

"Sorry son" I nodded my head. My dad always calls me that, exactly like that.

"His dad is the coach. You can come to the football game next Friday and meet him there." Maverick chimed in. Thank God for him. I looked at him with Thankful eyes and he just nodded at me.

"That'd be great" Mr. Smith smiled. I squirmed in my seat again, uncomfortable with this conversation about my dad.

I stand up "May I be excused?" I asked Mrs. Thompson.

"Of course" She said with a sad smile.
***
A few minutes later I heard a knock.

"Come in" I said expecting it to be Maverick but instead Mr. Smith walked instead.

"Are you okay,son?" He asked, pulling out the chair from Maverick's desk and sitting on it.

"Yeah it's just Me and my father aren't in the best place right now"

"I'm sorry, son I didn't know"

"With all due respect sir, can you please stop calling me son? It reminds me too much of my father"

"I'm sorry won't happen again"

"Thanks," I said.

"You're welcome," he said. "Now if you don't mind me asking what happened?"

"Well a long time ago my father had to make a decision. The biggest decision of his life, the reason I'm here today. He chose my mom over his career. They lived a happy life and they had me."

This part was hard for me to say. I started crying. "Three years ago my mother died in a car accident. I was a lot closer with my mom than my dad. I wouldn't come out of room for months. The day before school started we had football practice and I rolled my ankle. I iced it and cared for it but I didn't tell my dad. The next day he found out and got really mad at practice. I went home and waited for him to get home. I knew I was in trouble and probably was gonna be grounded. He surprised me and we had a normal conversation. He apologized for pushing me too hard since my mom died. But then he said something that got under my skin and made me mad. He said he didn't want me to make the same mistake he did"
Now I'm mad and I'm trying to control my breathing. "He regretted the best decision of his life. He regretted his choice. I got really mad at him and yelled at him. We got into a huge fight and I accused him of leaving if mom hadn't died. I rushed out of the house and came here. The only place I will always feel safe."

After an awkward silence he spoke "Me and you both know that you always have someone to talk to. Be thankful for that." And with that he got up and walked out of the room.
***
The rest of the time they were here I was quiet. I would get asked a question every now and then. 'How's school going?' 'Do you have a girlfriend?' I answered the questions and went back to being quiet. Eventually I just went up to Maverick's room.

A few minutes after I left for Maverick's room. Aria came up here and knocked on the door. Before I could even say anything, she walked in.

"Are you okay? You've been pretty quiet since dinner?"

"I'm fine." I said sharply.

"Well excuse me I didn't have to come up here to check on you"

"Then why did you? I thought you hated me."

"Maverick told you" she asked.

"No well yeah but I could've figured it out. You're so rude to me and I don't know what I ever did to you."

"Well for one you're a player. And two you were hanging out with Kathy."

"Who's Kath- ohhh. What's wrong with her? Oh, I get it you're jealous. You're jealous of Kathy."

"No I'm not. I'm nowhere close to being jealous of her. If you only knew what she did to me and my best friend for the past three years."

"I'm sorry and I am not a player" I argued.

"Are too"

"Are not"

"Are too"

"Are not"

"Are not" she argued.

"Are too" wait what?

"Haha Gotcha"

"Dang it"
***
Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I know I said I'd stick to a schedule but if you knew me I can't do that. So I'm just gonna do what I did with the last book, post whenever I finish a chapter. I'm gonna try to post one every week! Comment vote and follow!
               Until next time,
                         Kylagrace21