6~hospital

School sucks. When does it not? I have a history test today. I'm caught up on all homework and I'm not skipping class or practice so that's good. Me and my dad are back to normal. Well as close to normal as you can get after that big fight. I'll take that any day over not talking at all. Thankfully today we don't have practice, it's a Tuesday. We only have practice on Mondays,Wednesdays, Thursdays and select Sundays.

I walked into the lunch room and sat at my normal table with Maverick,Aria, and some of the football team. "Hey guys" I said cheerfully. There was an array of heys and hellos. Then there was Aria who rolled her eyes at me and scoffed. "Maverick, when's your sister coming to town?" I asked.

"Thursday"

"I didn't know your sister was coming" Aria cut in.

"Looks like I won the best friend award" I boasted. I got kicked in the shin by Maverick and glared at by Aria. Input my hands up defensively. After about twenty more minutes the bell rang and on to our next class we went.
***
Finally the last class of the day and unfortunately the worst. It's the only class I have Aria in and it sucks. She sits right next to me. It was the only seat left when she came in late. We literally hate each other and we bicker all throughout class.

"Alright class, these next two weeks you will be doing a book project. You will be allowed to have a partner." The class cheered. "But I will be picking them," the class groaned. The worst person I could get was Aria but what are the odds of that happening. Mrs. Rowe knows we hate each other. "Your partners are: Jake and Harriet, Mary and Kelly, Damien And Samuel...she droned on and on. There were still four people left, me, Aria, Noah and some nerd named Leo. "Aria and Adrien, And lastly Noah and Leo"

"What?" Me and Aria said, in disbelief, at the same time.

"Partners are final, no changes" Mrs. Rowe said, staring right at me and Aria. "Now you have the rest of class to decide what book, from this list you're going to do your project on, with your partner." Me and Aria groan.

"Okay I know we both strongly dislike each other but there's no way I'm getting a bad grade on this book report. I suggest working with me instead of against me, got it?" I nodded. "I don't like this anymore than you but we've got to get some things straight. First of all which book are we gonna do this on?" I shrugged my shoulders.

"Do whatever I don't care"

"How about the catcher in the rye?"

"Sure why not"

"Okay it's settled" she said to me. "Mrs. Rowe we're doing the project on the catcher in the rye" she said. Mrs. Rowe just nodded and wrote our names on the board right next to the book name. "I'm busy tonight, babysitting, but what about tomorrow?"

"Busy," I stated blandly.

"Doing what?" She asked curiously.

"None of your business" I snapped. I didn't really mean to snap at her but she doesn't need to bud into my personal life.

"You don't have to be so rude about it mr. I'm-mad-at-the-world."

"I'm sorry"

"It's fine. What about Thursday?"

"I have practice but I guess you can come to my house after that"

"Okay I'll go home with Maverick then I can go to your house from there"

"Okay sounds like a plan."

"Yeah and since we have more time what do you wanna talk about?"

I shrugged. "Who are you babysitting?" I asked. She'll probably get mad at me because I asked her plans when I wouldn't let her know mine. I don't care though my plans are personal.

"My little brother and sister" she answered. "Why can you ask about my plans when I can't ask about yours?" She asked harshly.

"Because my plans are personal and non of your business"

"Oh and mine aren't personal? It's my brother and sister. You don't know the reason I'm babysitting them."

"Why are you babysitting them?" I asked rudely. If she's gonna be like that about it I'm gonna ask her.

"My older brother's in the hospital. He's been really sick lately and they're running some tests on him to see if he has cancer. They're going to support him and I have to stay behind with my twelve year old brother and three year old sister who are scared to death about it." She answered harshly at first but calmed down to a frightened voice.

"I'm sorry" I said genuinely.

"Don't be" and with that the bell rang and I left school.
***
When I got home my dad was home before me, which is not normal. I walk inside the house and there's no sign of him or Granny Em. "Dad?" I yelled. "Granny?" Both of them were nowhere to be found. I started to panic. I called dad to see where he was but his phone was in the house on the table where he puts his stuff when he gets home. Now I really start to panic. I don't know where they are. I decided to go see if Mrs. Thompson knew anything. I started running to the Tompson household.

As soon as I got there Mrs. Thompson was closing the front door with car keys in hand.

"Mrs. Thompson! Do you know where my dad or grandma are? I can't find them anywhere."

"Yes I do."

"Thank god"

"Adrien I was just coming to get you. Your grandma fell in the kitchen when she was watching dishes. She's at the hospital right now with your father. He called me from the hospital and told me to get you and take you to the hospital."

"Oh no"

"Okay get in the car let's go"'
***
I got to the hospital and I easily hated this place. It's smelled of plastic and cleaning supplies. This is a place of pain and death. I remembered that Aria's parents are probably here and why they're here. This is also a place of sickness which can lead to death. I saw my dad and ran to him. I gave him a hug immediately.

"How's granny?"

"She's gonna be okay. She needs surgery but she'll be fine. She hurt her knee pretty bad in the fall but she'll be okay."

"How long have you been here?" I asked.

"A couple hours. I came with the ambulance and left my phone at home. I'm sorry I wish I could've called you."

"You called Mrs. Thompson though"

"Yeah but the hospital only let me call one person. They are really stubborn"

"It's okay dad, I'm here that's all that matters." Mrs. Thompson had gone outside to call Maverick and tell him to bring my dad's truck here, so she could leave.

"Adrien?" A female's voice said from behind me. I turned around to the woman who said my name.

"Mrs. Smith?"

"Yes it's me dear.  Why are you here?"

"My grandma fell in the kitchen so I'm here for her"

"Oh no that's so sad is she okay?" My dad probably had a confused face. He had no idea who this lady was or why I was talking to her.

"Yeah she'll be fine. What about your son?"

"Oh he's getting his tests done now. How'd you know about him?"

"Aria told me" she nodded.

"Oh is this your father?" I turned slightly to look at him.

"Yes. Dad, this is Aria's mother Nicole and Mrs. Smith, this is my dad Connor." I introduced them and they shook hands. I saw my dad still had a trace of confusion on his face. "Aria's the girl that's always with Maverick" I whispered in his ear. A sudden oh escaped his mouth.

"Well I've got to go to Xander. I hope all will be okay with your grandma honey" she looked at me with sad eyes. I could tell she's scared for the health of her child. I feel really bad for her. No one should feel pain like that.

"Same with Xander," I said. She hugged me and walked off.
***