7~picnic

Granny came home the next day. They had to keep her overnight. She came home in a wheelchair. She's having surgery next week, which is a good thing. After her surgery she'll have to be in rehab for a couple weeks and maybe months. The good thing is she's going to be okay. I took the day off school to take care of her while dad went to work.

"Granny?" I asked sitting next to her on the couch.

"Yeah, Honey?"

"How'd you cope when grandpa died?"

"Well you see I knew it was his time to go and that God needed him up there with him. I knew I'd see him again one day." She explained.

"Were you sad?"

"Of course I was sad. I had the right to be and so do you. I know you were really close to your mom, boy. It's okay to be sad but you know what?" She said in a calming voice while stroking my back.

"What?" I asked quietly. I had never really talked to anyone about my mom. It was always very personal but with granny I feel as if I can tell or ask her anything.

"God needed her up in heaven so he took her. It was your mom's time to leave us and you will see her again someday but only if you believe in God." I nodded. I did believe. I laid down, Granny still stroking my back, and fell asleep with my head in her lap.

I was shaken awake by soft and gentle hands. "Wake up darling you have football to get to."

"Huh?" I said groggily.

"You have to go"

"What time is it?" I said jumping up from the couch.

"3:58"

"Where's Mrs. Thompson?" I said frantically. I was slipping my shoes on hurriedly.

"She's not here yet but I'll be fine dear boy you have to go to football practice."

"Promise?" She nodded. "okay by granny" I kissed her on the head and ran out the door.
***
I made it to practice dressed and ready a few minutes late.

"Dad, I'm so sorry I'm late. I fell asleep on Granny's lap and when I woke up it was almost 4 and Mrs. Thompson still wasn't there."

"It's okay son I understand. The team's just doing warm ups. Just hop right in."

"Yes coach," I said, putting my helmet on and jumping in with the rest of the team.

The rest of practice was just like normal. Coach pushed us hard and we worked our butts off.

"Bring it in boys!" Coach yelled. "Great job today. Remember we have our first game of the season of Friday." The team yelled like crazy, hooting and hollering. "Tomorrow at practice you will get your jerseys. Friday you will wear them with jeans and if you fail to dress correctly you will be running. Got it?"

"Got it coach" the team said in unison.

"Break it out on Adrien then hit the showers."

"Jaguars on three!" I yelled. "one, two, three, Jaguars!" The whole team joined in. We all jogged to the locker room to shower.

"So Aria told me about your book project together." Maverick said.

"Yeah it's gonna suck." I said getting dressed.

"She's been complaining about it all day. She also was pretty mad that you skipped school today."

"Does she know why I skipped?"

"I don't know."

"By the way did she tell you she's going with you tomorrow? So she can go to my house for the project after school."