3~Aria

"We have to go pick up Aria, come on." Maverick said as I was finishing my breakfast.

"I'm coming"

On the way to her house, the atmosphere was a bit awkward and silent. Maverick hasn't said anything to me.

"Dude what's on your mind?" I ask genuinely concerned.

He shakes out of his trance. "Nothing man" he looked at me for a second, with a face of concern, then back at the road.

"Dude come on
I know you're lying what's up?" I pushed his shoulder playfully.

"Ok fine but please don't tell Aria I told you." I nodded my head for reassurance. "She hates you."

"Why would she hate me? I've barely ever talked to her."

"She thinks you're a player and a no good jerk. Her words not mine"

"And you told her I wasn't?"I questioned. What kind of best friend doesn't have my back?

"Well..." He drew out.

"What the hell dude?" I asked "I thought you had my back"

"I tried to tell her but she wouldn't listen. She's really stubborn."

"Well at least you tried" he put the car in park. We are currently in front of Aria's house. He honked the horn signaling for her to come.

She came around to the passenger side and opened the door to find me.

"What the hell is he doing here?" She snapped at Maverick.

"He crashed at my house last night," he explained in a calm voice.

"And he couldn't use his own car," she snapped. Wow this girl is sassy.

"It's personal. Just hop in the back." He said. She mumbled something under her breath but did what he said. It's only a ten minute drive anyway.
***
I skipped athletics today so I didn't have to face my dad. He's probably gonna be pissed but I don't care.

I'm at lunch but I don't feel like eating. I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach, making it hurt. I think it's guilt.

"Why aren't you eating?" Maverick asked.

"Not. Hungry." I said sharply. I didn't mean to be rude to Maverick.

"I get it man"

"Not trying to be mean but no you don't. Both your parents are still here and they love you." I snap. Aria shoots me daggers from her eyes.

"Ok" he put his hands up in defense.

"I'm sorry dude. You didn't deserve that. I'm just a bit tense that's all"

"A bit?" Aria mumbled under her breath where she thought I couldn't hear. It's so annoying when she does that.

"Are you going to practice tonight?" Maverick asked.

"Not thinking about it." The bell rang but I didn't move.

"Well we need you back before next week, so think about it please." He stood up and walked away.

They do need me. I'm the captain of the team and I'm not going to show up for practice. What kind of a leader does that make me? Maybe I will go. I just won't have anything to do with my dad. But I can't work out. What's the point?
***
I decided not to go to practice for two reasons. One, the most obvious, my dad. And two, I can't do anything anyway. My dad's gonna be pissed but I don't care.

Since I didn't have my truck I had to wait on Maverick to get out of practice. It was that or take the bus. There's one other person that had to wait on Maverick as well, Aria. Yes, the girl that hates me and me in the same car for an hour. What could possibly go wrong? Sarcasm dripping from my tone.