27~ october 29 pt.1

"Dad, who's at the door?" I asked walking into the hall that leads to the front door.

"There's something I need to tell you son and it's not gonna be easy" he told me in the strongest voice he can muster while breaking inside. I looked to the side of him and saw a policeman and my aunt Lisa, my mom's sister.

"Why are they here and why is everyone crying?" I was beyond confused.

"Son, there's been an accident with your mother" dad said quietly.

"She's going to be okay though right?"

He slightly shook his head with tears in his eyes. "Son she's not coming back. Your mom she- she died"

I stepped back "what? No! You're lying!"

"I'm sorry but it's the truth. Someone ran a red light going at a high speed and crashed right into your mother, killing her instantly." The police officer said. My dad shot him cold glare.

I fell to the ground screaming in pain. My heart just shattered into pieces and got run over by a car over and over again.
***
"Adrien you have to eat" Granny said. She came into my room since I never leave my room on this day.

"No I want to lay here and think about my sad and miserable life"

"Your life isn't miserable. You have Maverick and Allie and Aria and football and many other things."

I know I have great friends and an amazing girlfriend and people I love and love me, but it's hard to think about love when the person you loved most got taken away from you long ago.

"I know granny,"I said. She kissed on my head and walked out of the room.

October 29th. The worst day of my life plays over and over in my head while I sit around my dark room. The day my mom died four years ago. The day I power my phone off because I don't want to hear it go off every two seconds with sympathetic text messages.
***
"Adrien?" Dad asked me, coming into my room. It's about noon and I'm starting to get hungry.

I turned to face him and sat up on my bed. "Yeah, dad?" We hardly speak to one another on this day. I know you're supposed to be with your family on days like this but that never worked with me and my dad.

He slowly walked over to my bed with a big box in his hand. He sat down and handed me the box. "Go on open it" he gestured to the box currently sitting on my lap.

I cautiously took off the lid and unwrapped the object from the tissue paper. I pulled out a quilt.

"A quilt?" I questioned. I was confused why he was giving me a quilt.

"Your mother started making this quilt the day you were born. Every time you made an achievement the added stuff to it. Here's your first steps" he pointed to a square with a pair of baby shoes on it.

I opened it up completely. The middle was completely blank. "Why is it blank here?"

"She was saving it for a diploma. This was supposed to be your graduation present but I thought you'd need it now"

"Thanks dad I really appreciate it" I hugged him.

"Your welcome son" he hugged me back. He got up and left.

I looked at the quilt in awe.There were all different colors and patterns of squares. There was a baby food one, a swimming one, a talking one, a bike, an arm cast, a football, a basketball, and many more. I gently grazed my finger over the empty middle. I held it close to my body and cried. I cried until I fell asleep.
***
"Adrien," a female voice said sweetly. The voice sounded distant. "Adrien" the sweet voice said.