11

Hayley woke up that morning feeling much better. The past few days had not been that great. The sound of the gunshot that had killed Andrew still lingered in her mind and gave her nightmares. But wasn't she glad that he was dead and that she was now safe. But what about her Andrew. How did he deal with it. Was he mad at her. She fought with her thoughts. The worst part was that she would wake up in the middle of the night, and hear moans coming from Adrian's room and she would have to sit there and listen as they fuc***. She had no tv in her room that she could keep herself busy with her favourite series. Nor did she have a cellphone. It had broken down and she didn't have enough money at the time to get it fixed. She would have to wait for her first pay. Luckily it was only in a week's time.

Getting out of her cosy duvet, she made her bed and got in the shower as was her routine every morning. 𝐼 𝑛𝑒𝑒𝑑 𝑡𝑜 𝑔𝑜 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑝 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝑐𝑙𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑠 𝑠𝑜𝑜𝑛. She mumbled to herself as she looked at her almost empty closet. Quickly getting a simple faded grey dress from the hanger, she put it on and quickly headed downstairs.

"Good morning Nanny," Hayley greeted Maria as she poured herself some tea on her cup.

"Good morning dear. How did you sleep today? Are the nightmares gone?" Maria asked  giving her a small smile.

She had become so comfortable with Maria lately. She was a nice woman who has treated and welcomed her openly together with her siblings. If it were not for her, she would not be there. She has shared her nightmares with her, but had not really been Frank about what they had been about. Luckily, she had not pressed her about it.

"Yes Nanny. But I hope they will not come back again,"

"Let us hope so dear," She replied giving her a reassuring smile.

She nodded and continued sipping on her hot tea.

"Why don't you help me take this breakfast to Adrian in his room dear," Nanny said.

"What! aa.m isn't he at work?" She asked.

"No dear. He sometimes takes the day off and works from home and requested that I should take him tea to his office. But since you're here, you can help me with it if you do not mind,"

"Of course nanny. I will," She replied taking the tray from Maria.

They had not talked for the past week and she wasn't sure whether she wanted to be in his presence. Knocking on his door, She heard him mumble a ' come in ' . He was busy his eyes hooked on his Laptop.

Placing the tray on an empty side of his desk, She turned to leave.

"Miss Archer," Adrian called.

She had no idea that he knew her other name. "Yes sir,"

"Have a seat. I need to have a word with you," He said directing her to the empty chair.

"I need to ask you some questions concerning your siblings,"

She hoped they were not in any trouble. "What about them sir?"

"I have been wondering. Weren't they going to school before?" He asked her waiting for her response.

"They dropped out of school because I could not afford the fees after our parents passed away," She replied.

He cleared his throat.
"How did your parents pass away?"

Her parents were a delicate topic that she did not want to talk about. She fought the tears.
"Through a car accident sir,"

"I'm sorry about that," Adrian said. He could see the pain through her eyes.

"I want them to continue with their studies," He added.

"What! What do you mean sir?" She stupidly asked.

" What I mean is that I want your siblings to continue with their studies," He repeated. " Education is important and since they are living under my roof it would be right for them to have an education,"

" Thank you for the pity sir. You don't know how much it would mean to them. I will surely pay you back. Or you can deduct from my salary every month,"

He chuckled.
"Never mind. It will not cost you any penny. I am doing this out of good will. Giving back. Not out of pity. Anyway talking about your salary, maybe you can do a little wardrobe change once you receive your payment,"

He had noticed her clothes. Has he been that observant. Embarrassed, She quickly said, "I will sir,"

"Good. Since your sister is under medical care, I will employ a homeschool teacher who will be coming here every day of the week. Does that sound okay?"

"Of course Sir. I don't know how I will ever repay you for this,"

"I think I do know how. Before you came in I was actually wondering who to call to accompany me in an event that is happening tonight. I had actually forgotten about it till I saw a reminder on my email,"

𝐼𝑠 ℎ𝑒 𝑎𝑠𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑚𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑎𝑐𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑎𝑛𝑦 ℎ𝑖𝑚?

"So, will you do me the honours of accompanying me there?" He added waiting for her answer.

"Whaaat! Me?"

"Yes you miss Archer,"

" Of course. But I don't have something good to wear. I don't want to embarrass you,"

"That should not be a problem. I will have one of my men accompany you to the mall. You have ample time till evening to prepare yourself. Does that solve the problem?"

She would be going to an event with the boss! It had to be one of those expensive events attended by rich people. But why did she have to come at such a time in his office! If Maria had brought his breakfast ,he would not have asked her to accompany him. He would have just called one of his misstresses! Y𝑜𝑢 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑙𝑎𝑖𝑛! 𝐻𝑒 𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑜𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑑 𝑡𝑜 𝑒𝑑𝑢𝑐𝑎𝑡𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑠𝑖𝑏𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠. She scolded herself.

" Okay sir," She replied shortly.

Drawing some cash from his drawer, He handed her the money.

"Take this. Use it to buy the dress,"

She hesitated.
"But this is a lot sir,"

"You can use it to buy a few additional dresses to wear here since we agreed you can maybe change your wardrobe a bit!" He said not wanting to sound rude.

"Sure sir," Hayley replied. It was so embarrassing.

"Fine! I will have Russell accompany you later to the mall. You can leave miss Archer,"

******

Arriving at the mall, Russell parked the car at an empty space at the entrance of the mall. She wasn't sure what type of dress she would go for. But she had seen it in movies how those women would dress. At least she had an idea.

" You will meet me right here in the car," Russell said to her.

"Okay," She replied giving him a small smile. Russell was a good guy. They had conversed well on the way to the mall. Unlike the others, he seemed like a good guy, only that she wouldn't get it why he had chosen such a dangerous life. But maybe she would ask him later. They hadn't gotten along so well. Maybe they would have another chance to talk at the house since they had shifts on guarding and she had seen him a couple times. Anyway at the moment, She had a dress to hunt and she had just thought of the best idea.