+5. Starlight

It was still unnervingly warm when I dropped them off later that evening.

I felt happy. Hopeful.

Both of these feelings had scared me since I was little.

I decided to go to Neronz. It was almost eight, and I decided to take the bus. I didn't want to take the driver, not wanting my dad to know. I didn't know how he would react to the fact that I was visiting a place that was quite defamed.

At night, the streets were bustling with even more activity than usual. There were whistles as I quickly walked through the now-familiar alleyway. Men and women were engaged in an embrace, and I felt highly uncomfortable. I walked up the staircase to Crystal's apartment and knocked on the door, cradling the package in my arms. I had brought her some of the cake and snacks.

The door opened a while later, I started to smile but noticed her tear-streaked face. My heart fell into my stomach. "What happened?"

She smiled weakly when she saw me and sniffled softly. "Come in."

She wore a pair of pyjamas and a white t-shirt, which made me think that she had been in bed the entire day.

"Are you sick?" I carefully kept the parcel on the kitchen table and walked over to where she had curled up on the bed. "Cris?" She sniffled again, her shoulders trembling. I felt my heartbreaking as I looked at her and sat beside her on the bed. "Cris? What happened?"

She didn't answer, gazing up at me through her dark eyelashes. Her hazel eyes were glistening, her wavy platinum hair falling haphazardly over her face. I wanted to touch her. Comfort her.
I lowered my voice, coaxing again. "Cris?"

She sniffed, getting up, so she was sitting beside me. Close. So close that I could feel her warmth and inhale her scent. "I'll tell you. In a while," she spoke gently, moving closer to me. "If you could just...hold me?"

I gazed at her, my heart fluttering in my chest. I wanted to hold her, touch her. But I couldn't bring myself to. Her lower lip trembled as I remained unmoving. She bit it before sighing. "I'm sorry I'm such a mess. How did that thing go? With your academy?"

I didn't answer. I could see she was in pain. I knew I could trust her. I took a deep breath as I stretched one hand out for her to take. "Come here."

My voice sounded oddly husky as she looked at me, her eyes wide. Then she placed her hand in mine, and I gently pulled her close, letting my body enclose hers. Her arms reached my shoulders, wrapping around them firmly as I let my hands pull her waist closer. I placed my chin on the top of her sweet-smelling hair. I could feel her soft strands. My heart felt full. My body was calm as I relaxed into her warm embrace. I could feel her body pressed close to mine, and I felt comforted.

Even though almost every inch of our skin was covered, it felt intimate. I pulled her instinctively closer, pressing her into me as I took in a deep breath, letting her delicate scent ensnare my senses. I couldn't remember ever being this close to anyone. Yet somehow, it felt right.

We were silent for a long while. I could feel her heart thumping fast in her chest, my own beats intertwined with hers. I stroked her back, holding her tenderly as I let her calm down. I had been hesitant a while ago, and now, I didn't want to let her go.

"I bought an apartment," she whispered, her voice trembling. I let her go on, trepidation rising in my chest. "I paid half the money and sold this place," she buried her face in my chest, her voice so low that it was hard to hear. "But he got to know..somehow. What I was...what I did-"

My words died in my throat as I felt anger cawing my insides. I already knew what was coming.

"Then, he refused. I can't afford a lawyer or anything..." her entire body was trembling, and I held her tighter, fury swirling inside my chest. "He said he would let me stay there...as long...as long as I gave it to him."

Something inside me unhinged at her words.

I disentangled myself from her. I felt a twinge of disappointment when her warm body left mine, but my brain could only think of one thing. I struggled to keep my voice even. "Where does he live?"

She leaned back, tears in her eyes as she shook her head miserably. "No. He's...not a good man. I just wanted to share it with you. Please don't do anything-''

"Where does he live?" I asked again, my voice calm. Even. Dangerous.

She gasped, and I saw a flicker of fear in her eyes. I tried to soften, not wanting to scare her as I spoke again. "I'll set this right, Cris. Just tell me where."

She took a deep, shuddering to breath. "I don't want you to fight again."