6. Fissure

On our return to Asteria, there was palpable excitement in the air. The starting of the new term would be concentrating on practicals, something that everyone else was looking forward to. I was still wary about joining a Guild that was not mine.

The kiss that I had shared with Crystal, however, burned like a beacon in my chest. I thought about her every waking moment. And sleeping ones, although they were in ways, I couldn't quite admit to civil society. I could still feel her lips on mine, her warm, hot, wet mouth. The way her body fit into mine. The way she gasped when I touched her.

"Goodmorning, everyone." The Incandesco Guild Sentinel; Obsidian said. Much to my surprise, it seemed like the friendly female I had seen during Selections, was not going to train us.

It was still hard for me to believe that I had been taken into Incandesco without any trials. Everhart had convinced Obsidian that I was a fire guild Nuvue and that my powers had remained dormant for a long time, because of which it was difficult for me to wield them at a moment's notice. I did not know what to expect. I was an intruder. Nia and I were sitting cross-legged in the basement where the first class was to take place. She listened with rapt attention as Obsidian spoke.

 "Now, I would take some time for pleasantries, but I need all of you to know that this is life or death matter. A single slip, a single mistake, and you're dead. Along with those around you."

He started pacing around the room as whispers broke out. "I will continuously be here to guide you. But I need your one hundred percent cooperation. One of you here, or even a few of you, might be the future fire sentinels. Protectors of The Earth and Obscura and defenders of the Chasm. Now-"

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. I gaped in wonder as what looked like a fire breathing dragon appeared on top of his head, hovering menacingly. The only difference it had from a real dragon was that it seemed to be entirely made of fire. Orange embers for eyes, tongues of flame formed its body and tail, which ended in a ball of flames. It hung in an unearthly way, hovering menacingly.

There were murmurs of excitement as Nia gave a small gasp, her brown eyes twinkling with the light reflecting the fire. I leaned towards her and whispered. "Imagine riding that."

Before she could answer, Obsidian opened his eyes and looked at me. "You,"

I stared back at him, shocked that he had heard my voice.

The dragon disappeared from above him. "Get up," his voice was severe.

I sighed warily and got up, feeling extremely conscious of everyone's eyes on me. He crossed his arms in front of his chest. "Everhart convinced me to take you in the guild. But I think I need to take a little test."

I tried to look innocent, "I'm sorry," I said, even though I wasn't entirely sure what I was apologizing for. "I was just-"

"Yes, I know. You were just talking. However, you do not seem to realize the gravity of the situation."

He gestured for me to walk closer to him.I sighed and obliged. He glared at me. "Now, Ezekiel Hunt, I want you to defend yourself against my attacks since you think you are already too adept to be listening to my words." 

I blinked at him, wondering where his hostility stemmed from before it returned to me. Last year, it was Obsidian who was extremely reluctant to let me attend Asteria. His displeasure apparent as he had agreed with my grandfather.

Before I could say anything however, he took a few steps backward and closed his eyes. I tried to brace myself, but before I could, he sent a huge spinning ball of fire towards me. It caught me off guard, and I stumbled backward, landing on my butt. I raised a hand and felt the hot tongues of flame singing my T-shirt.