17. Agony

A/N: SENSITIVE CONTENT. MENTION OF ABUSE. TRIGGER WARNING.

There were only a few instances in his life when Aureus Greenwood had been nervous.

And this, was one of those occasions.

He sighed as he stood in front of the mirror, debating on his clothes. A part of him wondered if he should go all out, but realized that it would seem like he was trying too hard. He raked a hand through his hair, his heart beating faster as he saw the sunlight streaming from the room reflect off it; it was just like his mother's.

"Aris," Aahan stood behind him, his face pained as he stared at his reflection. "Please don't do this."

Aris stared at him before clenching his jaw and rounding on him. "What?"

Aahan sighed, his eyes pleading as he spoke softly. "I don't want to see that way. It's not going to end up good and I don't want you to hurt anymore."

Aris stared at him for a while, softening when he saw the genuine concern behind his familiar brown eyes. "Stop it Rana," he said defiantly. "It's going to be alright."

Aahan opened his mouth as if to speak again, but before he could, the door opened and Zeke walked in.

"Hey," he said, putting his hands in his pocket. Aris turned away from them and made a show of fixing his outfit. Zeke wore a simple black hoodie, his purple eyes standing out even more somehow as Aris felt the familiar fluttering of his heart. Aahan sighed, looking at Zeke worriedly and shaking his head.

Aris straightened up finally and turned to face them. "You're not going," Aahan said, his eyes flashing. "You're not going anywhere, Greenwood. This is a fucking stupid idea and you are in denial. Snap out of it."

Aris stared at him, blood pounding in his ears. "You don't have to come with me," he said defiantly, his ears deaf to his words. "Just drop it. I will go."

He mustered as much authority in his words as he could. Aahan stared at him for a while, his jaw set before sighing in defeat. "I can't see you like that Aris. I can't. I'm not going."

He went over and slumped onto the bed, not looking at either of them. Aris exchanged looks with a stunned Zeke. He didn't say anything and walked out of the room, Zeke following behind him. They were quiet as they reached the elevator. Aris sighed and rested his head against the cool metal. He could no longer think. He just needed to get it over with.

"How're you feeling?" Zeke asked after a while, his eyes laced with worry.

His eyes that seemed to set Aris' soul on fire.

"Nothing," he said honestly as he looked at him. "I need to do this. You know I need to do this."

Zeke bit his lower lip and looked away, not saying anything. Aris stared at him for a while. Every time he did the little things, biting his lip, raking his fingers through his hair or giving that soft hesitant smile, he felt his heart somersault.

He wanted to do the same to him. Bite his lip. Suck on it. Rake his fingers through Zeke's hair. His heart fluttered in his chest, his face heating up. His eyes slipped lower to Zeke's neck. And his heart stopped. Aris' eyes widened when he saw the dark red mark on his neck.

Anger and jealousy burst in the pit of his stomach. Ravaging his insides. Ripping him apart. "You didn't tell me you have a girlfriend?" he was fighting hard to keep his voice even.