15. Sognare

"Aris? What the fuck?"

I conjured an orb of light and saw Aris' face as he walked over to me.

"Evening Sunshine." His voice sounded morose.

"What the fuc-how?" My eyes flitted over to the ajar window. "You climbed in through the damn window? Couldn't you just knock like a normal person?"

He shrugged and strode over to the light switch, switching it on as the orb in my hand flickered and died. My incredulous comments died in my throat as I looked at him.

His hair was disheveled, his eyes strangely without their characteristic sparkle.

My heart fell into my stomach. "What's wrong?"

He shrugged and sat at the foot of my bed, gazing into nothing. I sat quietly, waiting for him to speak. He sighed, raking a hand through his hair and fished into his pocket, taking out a crumpled, haphazardly folded envelope and handed it to me without looking at it.

My heart thudded in trepidation as I opened the envelope and found inside it a piece of paper and what looked like a card. I unfolded the paper and saw that it was a letter. My heart fell lower and lower as I started reading it, finishing somewhere around my naval after I was done.

"Dearest Aureus,

Hope you are keeping well. I sincerely hope you have taken your mind off the things that don't matter and instead started studying.

This letter was to inform you that I have decided to marry Chastity Green in the next month itself. You will find the details in the wedding invitation.

I hope you will consider my proposal and pursue your education at Fuegos in interest of a better future for Greenwood Corporations and for yourself.

Dad."

The lack of 'love, dad' seemed to stand out jarringly. 'For Greenwood Corporation and yourself.' Instead of 'For yourself and Greenwood Corporations.' I flinched and folded the letter and put it back in the envelope, at a loss of words.

"He wants me to drop out," Aris said shaking his head, frustrated. "He says he won't pay for me if I keep attending Asteria. He doesn't want me to continue this...trickery."

I stared at the envelope in his hand, not knowing what to say.

"I came here to tell you that...I...want to visit my mom."

I looked at him, shocked. "You...know where she lives?"

He nodded. "I found out. Through the papers. There was an announcement a few months ago. About this woman and..." he sighed. "I didn't tell dad. But ever since then I've wanted to go see her."

He gazed at me and the sadness behind the emerald irises that made my heart wrench.

"Aahan is being a bitch," he said. "He says I'm being stupid. But I have to go. I can't.." he took a deep breath. "It's not like I have a choice. He says he'll be cutting me off," he gave a frustrated sigh and lay down on the bed, gazing upwards. "Isn't Chastity like...twelve?" he sounded disgusted as he looked at me. "She is hardly older than I am. It's twisted."

I didn't say anything.

"I...don't want to judge them too harshly Aris." I said gently after a while.

"Oh shut the fuck up," He said, irritated. "we all fucking know what it is," he shook his head, looking harassed. "I'll stay with mom instead. Just...find something."

His eyes glazed over and dread filled my stomach. He was hoping. He had started to hope.

"You want to meet her? Even after what she did?" I asked.