16. Hesitate

"A rabbit."

"A...car?"

"Hm...a dildo."

I burst out laughing as Crystal giggled. I gazed up at the long cloud surrounded by two smaller, strategically placed clouds. "Well, you're not wrong."

On Friday, exhausted from the training sessions, I had decided to visit Crystal. We were in a mercifully empty park, my head on her lap as we gazed up at the clouds.

"What does he make you do exactly?" she asked curiously as she gently stroked the hair off my forehead and gazed down at me. "How can he train you if he's not Asterius himself?"

I sighed and closed my eyes at her touch. "He just asks me to extricate my powers and project it elsewhere. So far I have only managed to set things on fire."

"Hm," she said. "It doesn't sound easy Zeke. You just need to be patient."

I groaned. "You sound like him."

"I'm not wrong."

I sighed. "No you're not."

She bent lower and kissed my forehead. My heart fluttered at the feeling of her lips on my skin. Her soft hair cascaded around my face and tickled me, ensnaring my senses with her seductive scent.

"In case you don't make it, we can still build your pastry shop."

I smiled softly at her as she straightened up. I held her chin and gently stroked my thumb over her lower lip, my mind wandering back to the last time we had met. "That's not half bad an option."

I propped myself on my elbow and gazed at her.. "There's another thing," she nodded attentively as I continued. "There's this...person," I said. "And well, his mom left his dad when he was a child. And now...he wants to go back to her and we all think that's a terrible idea."

She bit her lip and I had a sudden urge to suck on it.

"I can understand why he would want to go see her. But..." she shook her head. "I agree. I...think he's going to end up hurt."

I sighed and sat up straight, gazing into the distance. The emerald grass rippling gently in the breeze reminded me inadvertently of Aris' eyes. "What If it's not?" I said, glancing at her. "I mean...what if she actually accepts him?"

"That would be wonderful Zeke. But...unlikely."

I was silent before she squeezed my arm. "This person must be special to you. Is he a friend?"

I didn't answer. "How do you know...if someone is a friend?"

She scrunched up her face. "I don't know. Would you call me your friend?"

"I have some rather er...unfriendly thoughts about you at times. But I see what you mean."

She blushed and laughed. "I suppose...you start to really care for a person. You love to talk with them. Hangout with them. Depend on them. Trust them."

"I don't..." I sighed. "I don't care for him," I said. "I just...he is a nice guy. He deserves good things. I don't consider him a friend." I glanced at her.

"Really? You don't care about him?" she gently caressed my face and I leaned into her touch. "And yet you're asking me about his situation. Maybe you care too much for people and don't like to accept it Zeke."

I felt like she had shot me.

"No," I said defiantly. "It's bullshit."

Sooner or later they all leave. 

I could feel loud pounding In my ears and realized with a thunderclap that she was right.
She didn't say anything, entwining her fingers with mine. "Zeke," she spoke softly, understandingly. "Not everyone is going to hurt you.There will be some people who will choose you over everything else. Maybe you should give those people a chance."

I averted her eyes, feeling my face heat up.

I started when she leaned forward and gently kissed my cheek. I turned around at her, my heart pounding. "You're wrong," I lied smoothly before leaning over and kissing her.

It was like a fire had been lit up in my stomach at the feel of her lips on mine. I knotted my fingers in her hair, pulling at it gently and kissing her hungrily. I let my tongue wade into her mouth, the contact sending my brain into a frenzy. "Cris..."

I whispered against her mouth and kissed her again, not getting enough. I was aware of the loud noises of people talking as a group of men seemed to walk closer to us. But I couldn't care less. I pushed her down gently, trailing my lips across her jaw. Her lips travelled to my neck, sucking at it hard. I moaned softly, intoxicated by the feel of her warm mouth before the noises got louder and she suddenly froze up.

"Cris?" I leaned backwards and looked at her suddenly wide, panicked eyes. "Cris?"

"I...don't feel comfortable here Zeke." She said as the voices got still louder. "Can we go?"

I nodded silently as we started walking away.

Back at her apartment, I could sense there was something clearly wrong with her. She seemed suddenly hostile. "Cris, whats wrong?" she shook her head as we sat on her couch. "Hey, you can tell me anything. Did I do something?"

She shook her head again.

"Cris, if something is bothering you I can-"

"No you can't Zeke," she said, and to my shock I saw her eyes fill with tears. "You cant fix it," she took a shuddering breath. My heart broke a little as tears streamed down her face that she hastily wiped away. "I...I think you should leave."

She bit her lower lip and glanced away from me as her shoulders shook with a fresh wave of tears.

"Crystal-"

"LEAVE!" she said suddenly, rounding on me, her eyes severe. "Just...go."

He voice broke at the last word as bewildered, I got up and left, my mind a flurry of confused emotions.