+Prologue

Dedicated to ACalcifiedHeart for providing much needed motivation. 

Zeke stared at the astonishing flower.

The purple petals of the bud seemed to glitter in an unearthly way. The bright sun was kissing its ridges gently. He leaned forward, his thumb in his mouth as he sucked it pensively and took a whiff of the flower's surreal scent. The fragrance seemed to penetrate his very skull, setting his senses alight. As if he were intoxicated. He knew it was the Ira. The poison amethyst. He had heard frequently of it all through the eleven years of his life. He knew it could be lethal to get in contact with its nectar, but he was going to be careful. 

He took a deep breath, spreading his legs straight out in front of him as he gazed at the serene, sparkling lake. The Ellermans were still in the farmhouse, as part of their weekend detour. However, he didn't think it was healthy or required of him to join them.

He took in a deep breath, closing his eyes. He loved the smell of the grass. The gentle sounds of the lake. The birds were twittering gaily somewhere in the trees. 

There was a loud crack. A heavy, sharp blow and pain shot through Zeke's head. His thumb left his mouth and his heart was immediately struck with panic. He raised a hand instinctively. Rubbing the now sore spot on the back of his head as he gazed around. A pebble lay on the grass behind him as laughter ensued from behind the branches. He took a shuddering breath, fear infiltrating him and his first instinct was to run away. Before he could act on it, however, another pebble hit him on his temple and he shut his eyes, wincing in pain.

Footsteps moved towards him and he raised his head to see Ezra and a bunch of other boys he had often seen him hanging around with, including Elijah. They strolled over to him leisurely, smirking challengingly. Their father allowed them to bring their friends if they so wished and Ezra never missed that opportunity.

"Hello, pansy," Ezra grinned, his eyes glinting maliciously as he strode over to where Zeke was sitting. Zeke gazed at him, his jaw set as he tried to appear defiant.

"What do you want?"

Ezra grinned wider. "Whoa, did your mom not teach you how to talk to your elders?"

He didn't say anything, gritting his teeth and glaring.

Ezra walked over to him and leaned in front of him. "Here. Take a look at this."

He fished into his pocket and took out a badly folded magazine which he thrust at Zeke's face. "Take a look." He repeated.

Zeke's face became hot as he saw the cover of the magazine. A busty, scantily clad woman smiled up seductively at him. Gibberish scribbled onto it in glossy ink. Zeke tore his eyes from it and glanced away determinedly. "Go away, Ezra."

"Oh come on, I'm just trying to help you, Zeke."

"Ez-" a slightly scared voice spoke, "Ez...let's just go back. Dad will be furious-"

Ezra scoffed. "Alright. Go away then El."

Silence followed his words as Elijah stood rooted to the spot.

"We're just trying to be your friends, Zeke," an unfamiliar voice said as Zeke felt a presence behind him. Strong hands grabbed his head as he screamed. Immediately, a hand clapped him on his mouth, two more grabbing at his legs.

"Just trying to impart knowledge, brother,"

Ezra's hateful voice spoke as Zeke's heart raced in his chest, his blood running cold. He shut his eyes, shaking his head.