10. Ignite

Song: Ignite Alan Walker
This song fills me with optimism and strength.

I had a dreamless sleep that night.

By the time I reached the stadium for the finals match, there was a definite change in the atmosphere.

The entire stadium was jampacked with the audience. I could see even our staff members. I recognized principal Beckett among the stands; her stern expression betraying the definitive nervousness that she felt.

I walked into the locker room and gazed at the other end of the stadium. To my surprise, I saw that it was sparsely populated. About two dozen people were lounging leisurely. I wondered if our opponent academy hadn't brought audience with them. I made my way into the changing room, and my stomach clenched uncomfortably at sight in front of me.

The rest of the team had already reached, sitting quietly in different places, in solitude. Justin had his eyes closed as if in prayer. Benedict and Hector stood on opposite sides of the locker, gazing at the floor. Maddison was resting her head against the locker, her eyes closed. Aris, Elijah, and Hector sat on the benches, unmoving.

They looked up as I entered but didn't say anything. I was terrified of what could go down on the ground today. I was horrified by the idea that some strangers would be able to make me envision my deepest fears and finally asked the question I had been willing for long.

"Will they be able...to see our fears too?"

I asked the room at large. It was Hector who answered, "Nope," I let out a breath that I hadn't realized I had been holding as he continued. "They aren't able to see your fears, but they are able to show them to you."

From what I had read about illusionists, they were scarce. Especially among Nuvues. The ones that had been more frequent were humans endowed with the ability.

For most Nuvues, illusion did remain a secondary ability, although it was too weak to actually be of any use.

After a quarter of an hour, Elijah rose from his spot and took a deep breath. "Victoreefchi," he said simply before nodding and taking his mallet as he walked out.

The lack of his usual speech seemed to rattle the team's nerves even worse. I gulped, my fear mounting higher. I closed my eyes, picturing Geoffrey on the field. I pictured throwing the orbs of light on him. I imagined his skin burning to reveal his ghastly insides.

We walked onto the field after a few minutes, the cacophony of noises doing nothing to ease my nervousness. I looked over curiously at the opponent's stand and was surprised to see that they still had the same number of people cheering. We stood in a formation as the opposing team approached as.

"Those bastards are trying to undermine us by sending fewer students to the audience from their school," Elijah said, gritting his teeth. "They are trying to intimidate us by acting overly confident. Let's let them know that it won't work."

The team nodded as their captain, a tall guy with sharp black eyes moved over to us. He smiled at Elijah, giving him a little two-fingered salute, which Elijah returned reluctantly. I took a deep breath, my heart thudding in my chest. I could feel the illusionists' eyeing me, and I suddenly felt vulnerable. Naked.

"Three...two..."

The referee started the game with the now-familiar short whistle blasts. Maddison took hold of the ball and started towards the opponent's side. For a while it looked like she was doing well. Justin and Aris ran off after her for support while Hector and I took our position in the defense.