29. Burn

Aidan had only ever heard legends about the festival

Elijah had disappeared away from the crowd a while ago, leaving him and Meredith to wander around aimlessly. They skipped from stall to stall as Meredith sampled the many dishes that he had only ever heard of. His heart lurched every time she laughed or looked at him, her blue eyes twinkling.

"I think you can get this, Aidan," she said, smiling at him as they stood in front of a shooting range.

It was a fair game that Aidan had played many times as a child. The colourful balloons were attached on the wall of the stall, a gun placed in front. You had to shoot each balloon out to get a perfect score.He was so busy gazing at her that it took him a while to realize she was talking to him. Back when he was just training, he had got to see her more often, many times training alongside him. She had always been friendly with him, hence his habit of calling them by their first name. However, they were all heirs now, and he was still just himself.

He loved the way her mouth uttered his name. Loved the way her lips moved when she spoke it. He had never thought much of his ordinary name, until she spoke it and it sounded like the birds in heaven were singing out loud. 

He knew that his love, bordering on obsession was not going to end well for him, and yet, he couldn't stop hoping.

"This is more or less a sham or your highness," he replied, shaking his head. "I don't think you should waste your time on this when there is such a lot to-" he stuttered to a stop as the burly, angry looking man who ran the stall stared at him.

Meredith giggled as his heart lurched again at the beautiful sound.

"Go on. Show him what Evimerians can do Aidan," she grabbed his sleeve and pulled him closer to the stall. "Go on."

Aidan finally gave in, he didn't think there was anything Meredith could say that he wouldn't say yes to. He placed himself in front of he gun, adjusting it to his level as the store owner counted down and the game began.

It took him fifteen seconds to shoot off every baloon clean.

Meredith laughed gaily at the stall owner's facial expression. "I don't think he likes you,"
she whispered to him as he handed them the stall price, a huge stuffed elephant.

"You can keep this," he said, handing it to her as she smiled softly.

 "Why, that's very kind of you sir."

They strolled through the vibrant streets for a long time, getting closer to the makeshift wooden stage that had been set up at the center. Night was falling as a merry music started playing from somewhere behind them. The orchestra broke into a lively tune as people started pairing up and dancing.

Aidan stood awkwardly beside Meredith as she smiled and sang along to the tune, the yellow fairy lights reflecting in her eyes. The stage was decorated beautifully, romantically. Long, wooden pillars with colourful streamers entwined around them stood on either sides. Streams of twinkling, fairy lights connected them to each other, basking the entire stage is a soft, golden glow.

The tune soon changed into a slow, soulful one and he made up his mind. "Meredith," he said, afraid of calling her by her name but unable of getting over the habit he had had since he was fifteen. "Can I have this dance?" she gazed at him, her eyes hesitant. "Promise I won't step on your toes," he said, his heart fluttering in his chest.

She finally smiled softly at him and nodded. She placed the stuffed elephant on an empty wooden chair by the side of the stage and followed him.

His heart leapt as they walked over to the wooden stage. He put his hand on her waist, his breath catching at their proximity. She placed her arms on his shoulders as they slowly started moving to the tune. He was afraid she could hear the erratic pounding of his heart. That she could hear his thoughts.

It felt to him like they were the only two people in the world. The soft music flowing through him, the golden glow bathing Meredith in an ethereal light, making her look almost too inhumanly beautiful.

Princess Meredith Azaelia Ellerman's beauty was known far and wide. A hundred princes had vied for her affection, none of whom she had entertained. And each time she looked at him, each time they touched fleetingly, Aidan's heart fluttered with hope.

The music turned into a different, romantic song and something behind Meredith's eyes changed into sadness.

"Mereidth," he whispered, his heart thudding in his chest as she gazed up to look at him. His breath caught again as he saw her alluring eyes, her beautiful golden hair caressing her face, her dark pink lips and smelled her intoxicating scent. "Meredith...there's..something..."

He was finding it harder and harder to breathe. But he wanted to tell her. He needed to tell her. A part of him was sure that he reciprocated his feelings. Another part of him told him he was being ludicrous. Today he was going to let the former part win.

"I know that you're...you and.." he took a deep shuddering breath, gripping onto her waist a little harder as she gasped softly, her eyes unreadable. "And I'm just..me," he gazed at her again, his heart somersaulting. "I just need to tell you that-"

"Aidan," Meredith said, shaking her head, looking pained. "Don't."

Aidan gazed at her. "I just want to-"

"No," she whispered again.

"I've been in love with you since the last five years Meredith," he finished, his heart leaping into his throat. His entire world disappearing into a single entity. His entire body was heating up. "I just-"

"No," She whispered again as she took a step back from him and his hands dropped from her waist. "I'm in love with someone else, Aidan."

He felt like someone had inserted an icy shard into his heart.

"Oh."

"I have been since the last four years."

Aidan didn't say anything, his heart refused to beat.

It all made sense now. There was someone else. Someone else was the reason of her turning down so many princes. Someone else was the reason for her laughs. Someone else was the reason for her heart to flutter.

He stepped back respectfully. He had been an idiot. She was the princess of Evimeria. He was still an over-glorified farm boy from Zelen.  "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have-"

She crossed her arms in front of her chest and averted is eyes, an awkward silence between them. All around them couples were locked in intimate embraces.

"Mer!"

Both of them turned to see a tall, brown guy standing near the foot of the wooden stage. His blue eyes lit up when he saw Meredith who ran towards him and flung herself into his arms breathlessly. "Dare!"

Aidan's insides filled with lead as the man reached over and kissed her passionately. He saw his tattoos visible from under his leather jacket's sleeves. Saw the edgy necklace on his neck. Saw his expensive watch.

As if hearing his thoughts, the man disengaged from her and gazed at him curiously. "Who's this?"

Meredith looked at him, her face unreadable. "Oh, that's-"

"I am just...an employee of her father's," he said. "I was here for safeguarding her."

"Well, thanks man but you can go now," he kissed her forehead affectionately. "I'm here now," he grinned at her. "Not that miss Fireball here needs protection."

Meredith smiled softly at him, her eyes tender. And the way she looked at him, ripped Aidan apart. It was the same way he had looked at her since half a decade. 

Aidan nodded, a hollow chasm ripping his chest as he bowed slightly. "Good evening, Ma'am. Sir."

A new romantic tune started playing as he made his way from the stage. There was a loud cheer behind him and he turned to saw a monstrous bonfire lit up in the center of the city square. He walked over to the abandoned chair where the fluffy elephant sat and picked it up. He walked to the bonfire, his heart breaking like fragile glass as he threw it into the fire and watched it burn.

As if the ache in his chest could be reduced by the flames which consumed his insides till he wanted to shatter with agony.